Is Loctite 271 (Red) really a good idea?

Hi Everyone,

So here is a question going through my mind in reading through my Force manual. In many places it talks about using loctite 271 (red) on little bolts like the water pump bolts, and seals or what not. It scares me because I know that in regular non-marine applications using loctite red means that you're never going to take it apart again without a battle. What do you guys think about substituting with loctite blue? Does the nature of a 2 stroke outboard in a marine environment really make bolts loosen up that badly?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Is Loctite 271 (Red) really a good idea?

This is just my experience and I can't say that what I have seen is applicable to every situation but I use the red 271 loctite exclusively on what I consider critical bolts. Connecting rod bolts, main bearings cap bolts etc. Even then, I've never had a problem breaking the bolts loose. I don't typically use it on water pump housing bolts, or metal housing on seals etc.....stuff that is normally taken apart for routine maintenance. I rely on lock washers to keep the bolts from working out. Use good quality fasteners, torque to proper specs and you shouldn't have any problems. I stopped using the Blue Loctite years ago and never looked back.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While the manual does call for it, I have never used any locking compounds and as yet have not had problems with bolts loosening. In fact, I use a LOT of anti-seize in all but a few critical spots that must not have it, ike the flywheel taper and rod cap bolts.

The ONLY place where I use locktite is on the reed petal screws and Vee block screws.. Ingesting one of those will just cause heartache so I go for the extra safety there.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use red at work alot. If you just use a little things come apart ok. Now if you are going to use the extra (green) not sure if this is loctite brand that is the stuff for one last time, try to get a little more out of it. Use this green stuff even on bearings that sit a little loose in the end of electric motor to limp by till a replacement comes in.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just used LT Red in a larger amount and could not get the coupler loose which was intended. I also have LT for bolt protection for vibration. First time I had used the product and it seams to work well.

RRitt

Captain

I apply a drop of red to any part with a known history of self-loosening. I but the jumbo size and it lasts a good six months or more. Other parts have a history of corrosion and seizing. In those situations lock-tite would only aggravate the problem.

If your boat is exclusively for fresh water then use a little more lock tite and a little less anti-seize.
If your boat is going to run in old quarries, OK/KS/TX lakes, brackish, or salt then use a bit more anti-seize.

In short, assemble the engine for maximum reliability to suit your specific application.
Factory manuals do not know exactly how you will use your boat. They have to print the "one size fits all" answer.

Gopher

Cadet

Use Loctite green stuff even on bearings that sit a little loose in the end of electric motor to limp by till a replacement comes in.
Yes, that is how I reset a truck rear axle bearing outer race into a housing slightly chewed up. Worked great as I drove the truck for years after without a problem. But I was not planning/expecting to remove it, per the cautions on the bottle. I have used the red version "as directed" and was able to (occationally) disassemble fasteners without heating. But the lightweight blue version has become the general purpose formula, especially for fasteners you expect to take apart at some time. I haven't had a problem with things coming loose with blue. Fasteners feel "normal" coming apart, like releasing a properly snug part.