96 force 40 regulator swap 4 wire to 6 wire ?

TXBOGGER

Recruit
Hello to all and Happy New Year, may this year be trouble free to all boaters. Now to my question, I have a 1996 force 40 by mercury ser.#OE198720 after running the motor for a few mins it will began to over charge and somtimes have a miss. I have changed the coil packs so I think the voltage regulator is bad. I done a parts search and found a part # of 815279T5 or 883071A1 so I ordered one and it said it was a 6 wire ( I have not received part yet ) I checked the one on the motor and found a 4 wire regulator OEM # 815279-4 (2- yellow,1-gray,1- red wire ). when I looked up the part I found some that said the 815279T will cross to the 815279-4-5 or 883071A1 the new part said the wires are gray = tach, 2X yellow = AC, red (female connector) = sense, red (male connector) = battery pos, black = battery neg. If I run a new wire from the new sense wire to the battery pos will this work?
If I have to buy the OEM part # part it will cost me mega bucks over what the new part is. Thanks for any help Robert M

TXBOGGER

Recruit
Re: 96 force 40 regulator swap 4 wire to 6 wire ?

I figuard it out all you have to do is take the black wire to the block ground and hook the new sense wire to the battery cable at the starter solinoid ( will need to change the wire connector to a 3/8" loop ) and presto I have 14.4 volts at the battery with motor running