125 hp Force, removing steering bracket, I hope

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
My 1987 125 HP Force outboard has very stiff steering, even with the linkage disconnected. Word on the forum was that the bracket that the king pin goes through often corrodes, expands, and "pinches" the king pin.

I bought a used steering bracket (the component that the vertical king pin goes through) off eBay, and it turns freely. (Like this one, only not so pretty, but it swivels freely: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Force-Outbo...Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aa92c5e4b#ht_814wt_698)

So, I am getting ready to try disconnect the bracket and pull the motor off this weekend.

It looks like it's attached to the motor and motor leg with just two big (rusty!)bolts going up into the front motor mount from underneath and six small (stainless steel) ones going into the sides of the motor leg.

Any advice for pulling these? Current plan is to heat the bolts and try to back them out a little, then suspend the motor by the flywheel with a hoist, put some tension on it, and remove the bolts.

I'm concerned that they bolts may break, or that the mounting holes that the bolts go into may crack.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 hp Force, removing steering bracket, I hope

This can not be done with the engine on the transom. You need to remove it and either lay it on its back (preferable) or support it from the flywheel with a lifter.

Then, you need to remove the two 3/8 bolts at the top (9/16 heads) The six bolts holding on the rear shroud, And the four bottom bolts holding the lower motor mount (5/16 with 1/2 inch heads. Finally, inside the engine you need to remove the six bolts holding the lower cowling to it.(1/4 with 7/16 heads). You can see five of the six holes in the first photo.

Now, you simply slide it forward to remove it. In your case, remove the transom clamps and tilt/trim assembly (if present) from your existing engine and transfer to the newer yoke and kingpin assembly mount.

The larger bolts may not give you trouble, but the 1/4 inch ones may be corroded in. Spray everything with penetrant for a couple of days before trying the bolts. Spray back behind the lower motor mount because there is where the threads come through. In the third photo, you can see where the four lower motor mount bolts enter the thick plate. You will be leaving the thin plate attached to the engine midleg unless your motor mount is broken.

The third photo also shows the two biscuit upper motor mounts. IF you snap the bolt(s) there is plenty of meat there that they can be drilled and re-tapped to 1/2 inch. In fact, some Force engines came this way stock.

102_6681.jpg101_0259.jpg100_6087.jpg

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer

Man, I'm in for some work here.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you still have grease zerts on the mid section.
You can melt the old grease and add new.Heat GENTLY!!!!
Trying to add new grease you can pop the zerks off unless you melt the old grease.
I did it without the fittings.
I had to drill relief holes and melt and fill.
Used a lot of WD and new grease.
Can post some pics of what I did if you need them.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, pics would help. Are you talking about the zercs on the pin that the unit tilts on? There are two big horizontal pins that will have to come out after I have the bracket separated from the motor leg and power head.

And thanks, guys. I only show up here when I need help. Typical!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

101_0015.jpg100_5969.jpg102_6570.jpg102_6569.jpg102_6568.jpg

In the first photo you can see the zerk fitting jerry is talking about. It is black with grease. My engine only has one and yours is probably the same.

Last three photos show the lower motor mount and how it attaches to the support plate and midleg. last photo shows the complete assembly and should give you a good idea what needs to be removed.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer

Yeh, I got that zerk on the port side. On the starboard, there's a hole that looks like it is where a zerk used to be.