Moeller paint for 1985 Force?

ImWingnut

Cadet
Hi all,

Has anyone found a close match to the original Tempo Force white in the Moeller paints? I most likely will paint the whole motor so it doesn' thave to be a true match but would like to come as close as I can to the original Force white (beige). Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Moeller paint for 1985 Force?

Probably impossible to find an original can of Force white.
If you paint the whole thing it should look OK.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I used Duplicolor sandable primer and Duplicolor Gloss White paint available at O'reilly auto and or schucks auto supply. I can send video or a pic of how it turned out if you want me to. Looks pretty damn good.

tcraft1

Cadet

I used the Moeller 1973-present Johnson white and it came out great. It took 4 cans to do it though, with a white primer under. The real work is scraping off the massive force decal on the cover and then fixing all the razor blade marks.

ImWingnut

Cadet

Yeah Jerry, that's what I'm finding. Expected to have to paint the whole thing for the match, the top half isn't in bad shape at all but can't have a two-tone motor now can I?

Hows the lower half holding up in the water Jason? Would love to see some pics.

That's exactly what I was thinking tcraft. Johnson is close (off-white) but not quite as much beige it looks like. I'm thinking of going with that as I think it would match the hull color better than the bright white but I'm going to see what Jason's looks like. Did you replace the decal? I've seen in some other posts that people take jpegs or other image files to vinyl shops and they can recreate almost any decal. Was thinking aoubt it or at least see what the price would be for the hood decals.

tcraft1

Cadet

I found a Force decal wrapped in an american flag I thought was cool on the internet, I'll take some pictures this weekend and post next week.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Ill upload and post a youtube video in a few. I havent painted the cowl yet due to the decal lol. I'm hoping that with a heat gun it will peel off easy and need some sanding. Also it hasnt hit the water yet but im sure it will be fine. I put a couple of coats or primer and 3 coats of paint and when the cowl is done this spring im spraying the entire thing again. When the cowl is done im just getting a generic decal kit. Authentic decals are impossible to find.

RRitt

Captain

one pint of bright white with three teaspoons of light beige. The tan component is not as important as starting off with a pure white. Many whites have a gray shade already mixed in and it won't be possible to get the chrysler color if you start from a gray. I use Great Falls School District fleet white and Mazda Light Biege Use same brand for both paints and mixing is not a problem. mix reducers and hardeners per mfg directions.

Home Depot is selling a small rigid compressor for $50 and harbor freight has a decent detail gun for $10. You'll get a good and easy job.

As regards primer, petit paints has a self etch that is about $25 per quart. Rated underwater and thins with denatured alchohol. If you go down to bare metal anywhere make sure to use a primer designed for both underwater and aluminum.

The auto paint store will want to sell you specialty "reducers" but the lacquer thinner at pep boys is fine. If the thinner dries too fast then add a little MEK. If it dries to slow then add a little acetone. Avoid too much acetone because it will flash dry and ruin the shine. As always best results are found with a very light flash coat to promote eveness and adhesion followed by a wet coat for shine. The easiest paint to shoot is lacquer. every new coats "melts" into the coat below and you can just build up layer by layer.