70 CHRYSLER setting up since 1987

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 CHRYSLER setting up since 1987

There is a small mark on flywheel . It looks like the #10 . In this picture the mark is lined up with line marked "T" on indicator above carbs when top piston is closest to plug port hole. Is this TDC ?
IMG00397-20111217-1607.jpg

IMG00399-20111217-1610.jpg

At this point the dist has a curved mark that is parallel with radius of flywheel. Is this set correctly?

IMG00398-20111217-1608.jpg

Thanks for help!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, The distributor pulley is set correctly and yes, The mark thqat looks like 10 is actually Zero and aligned with the top dead center mark.

Did I mention that when testing the coil, the ignition switch must be on so it gets power? also, the distributor must be set to about zero degrees so the top plug is able to fire.

There should be two screws holding the points to the distributor. You loosen one and crack the other so there is a slight drag. The points have a notch in the frame and there is a --bear with me, doing this from memory-- there is a bump in the distributor body. You insert a flat blade screwdriver and turn it with the rubbing block on a high point of the cam. It takes a bit of practice to get it correct.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Sorry have not posted in awhile . How do you set dist at 0 deg.
I did get a replacement coil it says use with external resister.
What does this mean??
Thanks S.P.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That means that the coil is automotive type and actually uses 9 volts. Explanation: As an automotive engine is cranked over to start, the starter motor draws so much power that battery voltage drops to 9 volts. In order to get full power sparks at cranking, the coil is designed to operate on 9 volts. When the engine starts, battery voltage goes back up to 12 volts and the coil would burn out if something were not done. SO, a resistor is inserted into the line to drop voltage back to 9. At cranking, this resistor would drop voltage to the coil to way less than 9 so it is bypassed.

Your starter motor draws so little power at cranking that battery voltage will not drop as low as in a car. So, you can put an external resistor in the power to the coil line (blue) and not worry about bypassing it. OR: You can return your 9 volt coil and buy a 12 volt coil which would not need a resistor.

Judging by the shape of the lower unit and midleg, your engine is a mid to late '70s engine (1975-1978). This engine would normally have been equipped at the factory with an electronic ignition and an electronic distributor. It appears that it has been retro-fit by a previous owner with standard points and coil ignition. --Probably a long time ago since the coil mount appears to be a stock Chrysler part.

If you find an old junker with a Motorola Magna-Power ignition that works, it will bolt right onto your engine with no modifications necessary.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Frank, the new coil Ihave is Diamond LB-63 12V oil filled. Are you sure this is not right coil. And would still need resistor.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Left motor alone for awhile been working on boat hope to get back at it soon. I have a bud at work with a 70 force and project boat and trl might check into...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't know coils. Your best bet would be to email the manufacturer and find out if the coil is a 9 volt feed for use on 12 volt automotive ignition systems with a ballast resistor or if it is a 12 volt feed. Second best would be to go to an auto supply store or a racing shop and ask--but don't ask the pimpled kid behind the counter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I got tired of grinding fiberglass so I chose to try and install new coil this afternoon. I took the old coil off and noticed that it stated for use with external resistor 12 volt. There is no resistor installed so I,m guessing that,s what may have damaged the coil. I have a resistor to install but I have to build some type of mounting clip for it. It,s 3 inches long and 1 inch wide with the back open with a coil looking strip inside. I think I might cut a piece of aluminum a little larger drill hole on the side and fasten to bottom mounting bolt of coil. If I,m way off base please advise..
Thanks, S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I installed new coil and resistor . Still no spark. I think I will check points gap again tomorrow.. .010

Lead Swamper

Cadet

OH MY GOD ITS A MIRICLE

I have the same motor with ORIGINAL OVERHAUL TUNEUP BOOK I will add pics I may have answers you seek I worked on engine. Im a beginner to outboards learning as i go this is a great site . ty for your project shareing

Lead Swamper

Cadet

heres some more info

Attachments

• chrysler engine manual 002.jpg
    chrysler engine manual 002.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • chrysler engine manual 003.jpg
    chrysler engine manual 003.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • chrysler engine manual 004.jpg
    chrysler engine manual 004.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
  • chrysler engine manual 007.jpg
    chrysler engine manual 007.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • chrysler engine manual 005.jpg
    chrysler engine manual 005.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wow Swamper thats a nice book you have . I sure could use that.:rolleyes: I still have no spark. It seems from the pics I have no CD unit.:confused:. I,ve been debating on taking motor to a shop and let them figure it out.
Thanks S.P.

Lead Swamper

Cadet

Hey, sphelps great dog ! Oh my yes the BOOK. Its great helped me alot concidering I have not tinkered with OB before a would have not have even tried. Name a few topics you would be interested in seeing ill post.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Swamper the labs name was smokey. Best dog I ever had!
Well the first thing is the no spark issue. I would also like to change water pump/impeller.
I,ve been working the boat lately so I,ve been letting motor sit.