• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

70 CHRYSLER setting up since 1987

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 CHRYSLER setting up since 1987

I have a 70,s model #707 HF outboard that,s been sitting since 1987 . It was running when it got parked..
    I am no mechanic so I,m gunna need some help getting it going " I have a hard enough time keeping my lawn mower going ". It had a bad starter , found a shop to rebuild it will pick up tomorrow. I need battery and gas line.. What steps should I take before I try and start it up? Should I use anything in the fuel to help clean out system? Here are some pics..

Thanks for help!!
    S.P
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    '64 MFG Rebuild
    70HP Chrysler Project
    MFG forum thread http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
    Glassmaster tri-hull project http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ct-614743.html

Re: 70 CHRYSLER setting up since 1987

Make sure you can turn the motor over. Put on some gloves and grab the flywheel. Try turning the flywheel clockwise (looking down at the flywheel). Might have to use a big wrench.

Is that a crack on the lower unit? See arrow in attachment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1f030b676ec01996fa2e309420e21b2f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	113340

Comment

the case on chryslers splits there on the smaller ones...
      1998 Sea Ray 190BR
      4.3 MerCruiser I/O

2012 Ford SVT Raptor

1995 Sea Ray BR180
      4.3LX MerCruiser I/O
      "reliable red" Sold.

Comment

Pull the plugs,check for rust.Do a compression test.Change the lower unit oil.
        IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
        NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

Given that there is a lot of oil staining at the gearcase split line, I would drain it, disassemble it, and check on the O ring there or simply replace it. Reassemble and fill with fresh lower unit oil. While it was apart, if it did not have oil in it check that the gears and bearings are not rusted. Replace the water pump impelller.

Other than that, If the engine is free, change the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket. put some tcw-3 oil in each cylinder and turn it over a couple of times. Then check compression. Pull the carb fuel bowls and check for varnish. If varnished or dirty, remove and disassemble the carbs, then clean them. Not much goes wrong with the distributor so remove the cap and if the engine has points, clean and reset them to .014. That is a later model 2 piece lower so the engine MAY have the electronic distributor. In that case there is nothing to do except check the center button on the cap. Check the distributor drive belt for large or excessive cracking. If it looks dry-rotted replace it.

Do not "clean" the fuel system. Replace the fuel line with a new one and new primer bulb. Replace the fuel line from the pump to the carbs AND put a small disposable fuel filter BETWEEN the pump and carbs.

ANd I just notices a lot of corrosion on the ground wire between the starter mount and regulator/rectifier. Replace that wire.

Looks like an older boat with character. Post some more photos please.

Comment

Ok, went out and started tinkering . I installed rebuilt starter, reinstalled ignition switch wiring, stole gas tank and battery from future son inlaws boat, installed new plugs,cleaned out carb bowls. The top two were somewhat clean the bottom one had some gunk in it. It did'nt have a bad varnish smell. I was going to replace the fuel lines but my wife could not find right size at parts store. Tried to start and would only turn over . It acted like no spark I think it was getting fuel because after choking fuel dripped out of carb.. Flooded?? Also sometimes the starter would not turn the motor over. Battery reads 650 cold amps. Is this enough for this motor?

More pics...

Thanks,
            S.P
            '64 MFG Rebuild
            70HP Chrysler Project
            Glassmaster tri-hull project http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ct-614743.html

Comment

I see the problem.... Number 2 Spark Plug lead is disconnected:-)

In all seriousness, you will find this site helpfull and informative. I am not very helpful or informative.... but others are.

As Frank said- looks like a boat with character- well it is just that. Looks great. Hope you get it running soon.

Justin
              Make sure you start with the simple things first.Ask yourself- " IS MY BATTERY CONNECTED"

Comment

That carb bowl looks pretty nasty to me, I'd clean them...spark is easy to test, I use a tester from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/90-inli...cker-4445.html, you can find them at an auto parts store too. Or you can just remove the plug from the engine ,ground it and crank the motor over, you should see a bright blue spark. Best to hold the plug with some insulated pliers or you might find end up using your body as the spark tester

Comment

Thanks,Bman.
                  I,m gunna check spark tomorrow . If no spark whats next? "coil"?
                  Don,t know how to check compression..Going to need some help there for sure!
                  I,ll be glad to get my dads old boat back in shape. If he was still with us heed be grinning ear to ear!
                  '64 MFG Rebuild
                  70HP Chrysler Project

Comment

Its a pretty cool old boat, reminds me of mine.
                    To test compression you need a compression tester, I also got mine a HF, but they loan them for free at Autozone, I dunno if you have them down your way or not. If it was put away running it shouldn't take too much to get going.

If you find that there is no spark, I'd first check all electrical connections. Unhook them one by one so you don't get them mixed up, and clean all of them with some fine sand paper or a small metal brush. Then give it a try again. Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Comment

We do have H/F down here I go there often.It,s about 59 deg. and windy brrrrrrr.. May make trip to town.
                      F Acamp said I may have electronic distributor. From pics is that what I have??
                      '64 MFG Rebuild
                      70HP Chrysler Project

Comment

Ok, I have no spark I grounded plug to bolt on back of motor.
                        Cleaned all wire terminals checking for bad wires as I went.
                        There was no visible arch or spark. There was a blue wire going to the coil that looked melted on jacket in two spots I spliced in a new wire just in case.Still no spark
                        Here is pics

There is white wire in same harness that is cut off , don,t know what is for....
                        '64 MFG Rebuild
                        70HP Chrysler Project

Comment

Looking at the hood it suppose to be a 1972-73 and in those years it should have Magnapower electronic ign.
                          But in the pics I do not see any CD-pack, looks like it is converted to battery ignition. That is old school ig. containing ign.switch, points, condenser, disterbuter and coil.
                          The blue wire to the coi lfeed +12V from the switch, the yellow/black from coil goes to disterbuter/condenser that is inside the disterbuter.
                          Inside the disterbuter there is also the points.
                          Clean the points and regap to 010, check that you have +12V at blue wire on the coil.
                          Then I see that there is no ground wire from disterbuter to the engine block. Attach a wire from the dist. to engine block so you are sure having good groundconnection.

Comment

Whoa! Your engine is really old. It has automotive type.battery and coil ignition. I haven't seen one of those in a long time. That is a stock Chrysler coil mount and no, the distributor is NOT electronic.

OK---Start here. Check to be certain the thin red wire is attached to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This is how the whole ignition system gets power. Then below the engine terminal strip there will be a circuit breaker. It will either be a silver rectangular can or a plastic one with a reset button. Check to be certain that 12 volts is being supplied to the terminal strip. If not, replace the silver can or press the reset button on the black plastic one. if still no power, replace the black one. Of course, I expect that you will have checked for broken wires and corrosion on any terminals.
                            At the ignition switch, the blue wire attaches to the "I" terminal. This supplies power to the coil. Be certain that the red wire shows 12 volts and with the switch on the blue wire does also. At the engine terminal strip the blue wire goes to the + (pos) terminal of the coil. Now, A white wire (or in your case white with a black tracer) should go from the - (neg) of the coil to the points terminal on the side of the distributor. The distributor MUST be grounded from the movable part to the mounting on the block. If not, the grease insulates the movable part and the points will not ground when they close.

Your switch should be Push To Choke type. To choke the engine for cold starting, you push in on the key and hold while turning it to start. For cold starting you pull out the silver lever or knob on the control box and advance the control handle as far as it will go. This is fast idle position.

With the points closed, the coil is charged. When the points open, the magnetic field inside the coil collapses and generates a high voltage pulse to the plug(s).

The white wire at the engine terminal strip is not used.

SO: Take the cap off the distributor. Clean the points and set them to .010 gap at a high lobe on the cam. Now check for spark. If no spark, check the condenser. There should be one inside the distributor. If it is cracked or if the wire is broken, replace it. You don't necessarily need a Chrysler condenser-- a lawnmower one will do in a pinch.

If still no spark, turn the switch on and ground the neg terminal of the coil. If no spark is made, the coil needs to be replaced.

Of course, you need to check that the distributor is set to its correct position: The pulley on top should have the curved line aligned with the flywheel when the engine is at top dead center. The TDC or 0 degree line on the flywheel should point to the TDC line on the engine block pointer above the top carb.

Original fuel lines were 5/16 ID but you can use 3/8.

Comment

Thanks Nord, F. Acamp..
                              I am gunna have to write all this down or take laptop out and go thru whole list of steps. Am I going to have to take points off dist. to clean and set gap . Does roter button just pull off? I have never worked on dist. before and concerned I may screw something up!
                              Gotta pick up a volt tester/ meter ...

'64 MFG Rebuild
                              70HP Chrysler Project

Comment

Working...
                              X