84 Force. 85 hp on a 1984 Baliner Trophy bass boat.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My engine has always run perfectly in the 4 years I've owned it with the exception of when the fuel pump diaphram failed a few years ago. Barring that, it has always brought me home.
I live in Arizona so I can fish all year long so a few days ago, I was taking the boat off the trailer and it idled badly. I pulled up to the dock to check things out and magically it started running perfectly, almost like someone flipped a switch. I figured just a little something got stuck in one of the carbs or something. I didn't give it another thought. I cruised across the lake and went fishing. When I cranked up the engine to leave that spot and try another, it idled badly again until it warmed up a little bit. That's the way it was all day. It idled poorly until it warmed up a little and then ran fine until it cooled off.
I'm a little concerned because that sounds electrical to me and I know the power packs are not cheap.
The compressions is within 5 pounds of 150 on all 3 cylinders and I just did a link and sink about a month ago.
What would be the first thing I should look for?
Any suggestions?????

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 84 Force. 85 hp on a 1984 Baliner Trophy bass boat.

When was the last time you checked your plugs? It's probably due to replace them or at least clean them first and see if that'll change things. If it does, then it's maybe time to replace plugs.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just changed them last month but that was the first thing I was going to try. It just didn't seem like plugs but I'm no mechanic either. I'm hoping it isn't something more expensive like a coil pack.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While we are on the subject of spark plugs? The plugs I have in it are Champions. UL77V. I don't have a manual so if I may ask, what are the correct plugs for this engine?????

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=464459 Free links to the manuals.
Possible water in the gas.
Plugs burning ok?All three the same.Possible head gasket.I had one go bad and it was still at 150#s of comp.
UL 18V for that motor.Check the diaphram again.Ethanol is NOT your friend.J

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We should all follow our gut feelings now and then... electrical components are often set in epoxy or sealant (can't remember the proper name for it). Just for giggles pull the packs out, look at the back sides. If the sealant is cracked this may explain your symptoms. When cold, one may have a short, when it warms up and expands the short basically repairs itself causing the magical repair. This can happen the other way around too, when cold runs good, when hot has problems. You see this alot in condensors on points ignition.