what hp lower unit will fit on a 10hp Chrysler?

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
thinking about buying ( but don't tell my wife, she thinks 6 donks is enough, it ain't hardly anywhere near enough LOL ) a cheap 10hp Chrysler with a knackered lower unit,
as the header says..what other lower units will fit this?
they were made between '74-'78..yes/no?
don't have the serial number to check,
is the ignition system on these considered good, bad or ugly...like those horrid magnapower ll motors LOL
thanks for any help,
cheers

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what hp lower unit will fit on a 10hp Chrysler?

I love my magnapower......:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler 9.9, 10, 12.5, 15. Force 9.9, 15. AND, if you want to do a little work, a Chrysler 8 HP lower unit will also fit if you change the top bushing and drive shaft. But, it does have a smaller prop shaft so you would need a prop unless your prop shaft and rear bearing carrier were still good and you swapped them in. I told you it would take a little work.

With a 5 inch leg extension, a five inch longer drive shaft, a five inch longer shift rod, and a five inch water tube, these engines can easily be converted from short shaft to long shaft in about 1/2 hour.

Nordin

Commander

Yes as Frank says gearhouses from these will fit. There were two different ign.systems magneto and Magnapower III and three different starting system manuell, electric and dynastart.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help and suggestions,
Justinde, glad you love your's..once we get my son's 120 up and running l'm sure he'll have fun scaring the crap out of his mates on boards, tubes etc,

thanks again Frank, your knowledge of Chrysler/Force thingees is just mindboggling, good to know that there's a few LU's that will fit, there's a dodgy 15 not too far away as well, so we'll see what happens once l have a look at this other jigger, it's less than 10 mins away,

thanks for the suggestion about putting a longer leg on it, that probably won't happen though, my wife says l'm a lazy bugger sometimes LOL and l have to agree..
the "plan" is that it's either going to replace a tired blueband on a 12 ft tinny or be a aux on a 15ft runabout..or do both duties,

thanks as well Nordin, good to know what ignition systems they have, l have a fairly recent manual so l'll have a read when l get home from work later..it's sunday..supposed to be a day of rest..or at least, mucking around in boats,
cheers

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

edit
bought it..$53 Oz...is a goer but haven't checked compression yet, too many mozzies outside now,
will need another lower unit.. no hurry,
cheers