125 force electrical problem

mikechrisclark

Recruit
I have a 1988 force 125 hp. I am having problems with the electrical. when I try to hook up the battery I get sparks from it. I went thru the electrical wires and found that if I remove the ground from the rectifier it did not spark when I tried to hook up the battery. It did however get so hot on the positive post while trying to turn it over that it melted the positive cable. The conections on the battery where clean and tight. When the ground is hooked up on the rectifier and I ignore the sparks on the cables the curcuit breaker pops. I realize I have a short somewhere but before I start buying parts i wanted to know if anyone else has seen this problem. Is it the starter, rectifier, starter selonoid, or something else. Engine will start but something is wrong and I want to fix it right. please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 125 force electrical problem

Remove the rectifier and test it with an Ohm's meter, it may be shorted thru, energizing the stator and turning it into a large heating coil.

Test each yellow lead to the red lead, then reverse the leads on the meter and retest. You should have continuity only one direction and no continuity with the leads reversed.

Connecting battery cables with the polarity reversed, even for a heartbeat, will ruin a rectifier.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 125 force electrical problem

Grounds and shorts in circuits are the most challenging to troubleshoot. Unless, you have a prior knowledge of the problem, the only way to find out where the grounded or shorted circuit is located is by isolation. Meaning disconnect one circuit at a time and test along each way. Start with the rectifier, disconnect both ground (blk) and positive (red) wires. Turn off or better yet disconnect all aux equipment like radio/GPS/FFinders, etc. Test by placing an ammeter in series with the positive post and positive cable. There should be zero or almost zero amps. If there is an indication of current flow, continue isolating with starter solenoid, test, and then continue again with connection for the trim controls and so on. Just make sure you mark all wires and their connected position. If you need an electrical diagram send me a PM.