still need pointers with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

bailey1158

Cadet
I have tried to use four 5/16" threaded rods and a puller to remove the bearing carrier and had no luck, we probably had about 6-8 tons of pressure on it including heat guns and it did not budge one bit. am i using the correct holes to be pulling on or should I be using the 1/4-20 holes? This is my first boat and I want to make sure I replace all the seals correctly as I learn. Is it at all possible that the cast aluminum has ceased together over the years? The lower unit runs fine, Im just trying to do my preventitive maintenance to increase the life of the unit, any thoughts?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: still need pointers with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

You need to use two pieces of 1/4 -20 threaded rod in the same bolt holes that hold the anode on. If they strip out as sometimes they will if the lower unit is corroded, simply re-tap them to 5/16-18.

A special tool is made that threads on the end of the prop shaft. The rods go through two holes in it. When you unthread the prop shaft, it pulls out the spool.

I use a chunk of 3/4 X 2 inch steel with a hole in the center. I pass the rods through two side holes and tighten alternately with nuts. It usually works well.

bailey1158

Cadet
Re: still need pointers with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

that did the trick, thanks so much Frank!