125 force outboard to a 125 force inboard powerhead swap?

toyotaman

Cadet
i have a 89 bayliner capri that had a 125 force inboard. the motor is blown and someone prior to me owning it had pulled the motor out and its in pieces my dad has a 125 force outboard powerhead it looks the same for the most part but the head is a little different it looks like the thermostat is in the opposite way. im wondering if that powerhead will work on my inboard and would i have to swap the heads? would the coolant be running the opposite direction on the inboard as appose to the outboard?

any help would be great.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 force outboard to a 125 force inboard powerhead swap?

You talking about the L-Drive in your boat??Or the Jet?
The block is the same as the L-drive..The head and some other parts are different.They will swap to your motor.The cooling is the same.
They were only made in 2 years and quickly dropped.Parts are expensive and nobody wants to work on them.They were actually way ahead of their time.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 125 force outboard to a 125 force inboard powerhead swap?

Just need to double check that the splines on the lower unit drive shaft and the splines in the hole on the bottom of the crankshaft where the drive shaft goes match up. Most of the 125HP crankshafts are 15 splines. Some of the L-Drive lower ends have 13 spline drive shafts.