1993 70 HP Force - Bearings and Gears in lower unit need replacing - cost inquiry

goveiac

Recruit
I recently bought a boat for the first time. I purchased 17' Bayliner with a 1993 Mercury Force 70 HP motor. I bought it off a gentleman who claimed the engine had less than 100 total hours on it. After buying it I took it to the Marina to get it winterized (I never used it for personal use because I bought the boat in late October) and when I took it there the service manager told me that the lower unit was cracked and when he pulled the drain screw off the lower unit the grease came out pure grey in color and he told me that it appears that the gears and bearings would have to be replaced on the lower unit. I wanted to know from anyone with any experience dealing with this type of maintenance what my expected costs would be in getting the boat repaired? FYI, trust me I plan on taking the person who sold me the boat to small claims court for the costs.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 70 HP Force - Bearings and Gears in lower unit need replacing - cost inquiry

Small claims is "iffy" Even if you win, then it is up to you to collect--there is no guarantee. So, I would try to cut my losses right from the start.

However, new, those gears and bearings cost upwards of 200 bucks each and, of course then you would put in seals for around another 100. But if the casting is cracked, then you need to replace that too. AND, if you don't do the work yourself, add in 100 dollars an hour labor charge. If you look on the auctions, rebuilt lower units for outboards range from 800-1500 dollars. I don't know about that particular one though.

You would be better off buying a good used lower unit from ebay or Craigslist for 350 or so and then take the guy to small claims.

See my private message to you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 70 HP Force - Bearings and Gears in lower unit need replacing - cost inquiry

That the small diameter unit... good luck.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

AND----That is a mercury designed lower unit. It uses the same 10 inch diameter props as the mercury 40s and 50s.

It is thru-hub exhaust which means the exhaust exits underwater through the prop itself. These lower units need to be stored in an upright position or the prop needs to be covered with plastic. This prevents rain and snow melt from entering the prop and lower unit, re-freezing, and cracking it.

The engine may indeed have less than 100 hours on it but may have been stored improperly.

So let's give the seller some benfit of the doubt--he may not have realised that the lower unit was cracked.

Mind you: I am not saying you should not try to recover damages. You should. BUT----If the boat was sold as-is which undoubtedly the seller will claim, you will have a difficult time proving your case. Caveat emptor--let the buyer beware.

Thus: As I stated before, you should try to find the least expensive repair that will reliably put you on the water next year. OR, Get a true estimate of repair cost on which to base your suit, then do the repairs after you win. This is a situation where you have the time to plan ahead for negative outcomes.

Jiggz

Captain

So the service manager showed all these claims about the crack bullet, gray oil, etc? Or was it just his words without verification? Sometimes the gear oil will turn gray because it hasn't been replaced and refilled for the longest time. It could have just been contaminated because of a loose vent plug improperly sealed plug. When he said crack, is he referring to the casing or the seals?