Chrysler 105 no spark unknown ignition system.

DieselDude

Cadet
I recently picked up this outboard engine on Craigslist. Its a chrysler 105 hp outboard, model 10575, serial 3386, unknown year, also unknown ignition system to me. I think its a magnapower ignition system? Coming into the cdi box, I have power from ignition switch to the cdi ignition box (blue cable), no power at white cable ("mag" on the key ign. switch), and power at the red cable (battery). now, from the box coming out i have no power to ignition coil (solid white cable), but i have power at the wht/blk cable going to disrtibutor housing. This has got me stumped. Is the cdi box bad? maybe a cable is connected on a wrong terminal? also i have gasoline leaking from this glass bulb i dont know what the part name is. its made of rubber cork material. boat 007.jpg

DieselDude

Cadet
Re: Chrysler 105 no spark unknown ignition system.

here is a pic of the ignition system. boat 005.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I coukld not open your attachment. However, given that your fuel pump is the old style with glass bowl, the ignition is most likely Motorola CD with a points distributor and the engine is prior to 1977.

Now: The white wire at the "M" terminal of the switch is the tachometer signal wire. It is terminated at "M" because both "M" terminals are not connected to anything else and are only in continuity with each other when the switch is off. It is thus a safe place to put the wire instead of having it flop around under the dash. This wire has nothing to do with loss of spark.

The points in this distributor are used to signal a transistor to allow the capacitors to dump their voltage into the coil. SO: If you have power on both the blue and red going into the CD box, the first place to check is the points. The should be clean and gapped to .010 on a high point of a lobe.

Once you clean and set the points, if you still get no spark, then more than likely the CD box is bad.

DieselDude

Cadet

Frank, thank you. I will be adjusting the points soon and see how that works. I found a schematic / diagram for my chrysler 105 outboard. it looks like the ignition that i have is the motorola ignition like you said.

Attachments

• wiring_Chrysler_4cyl_Motorola 2.jpg
    wiring_Chrysler_4cyl_Motorola 2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 10

DieselDude

Cadet
Update to this issue. I have since sold this engine, but to whom this may help, here is the fix to this problem. First, the cap and rotor are not replacable on these outboard motors. The only thing replaceable within the distributor are the points set, and the individual spark plug cables which are simply just pushed into the distributor cap. If you have no spark check the spark plug cable contacts for green corrosion first! This will cause no spark. Then check points gap. If you hear a high pitch hum coming from your CDI box that means your CDI is GOOD.