rewinding starter srping 1985 Force 15hp

65f10

Recruit
does anyone have any experience rewinding the pull starter spring i have the whole assembly put back together and new cord on. however i can not get the spring to rewind. any help?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: rewinding starter srping 1985 Force 15hp

Yeah! Assuming it is the rewqind spring that goes down the cenbter of the rewind pulley tube:

Remove the top screw and thread in a 10 X 24 (or is it 10 X 32--I forget) allen head screw with a nut on it. Thread it in only so far that it is still above the hole with the pinion pin. Remove the pinion pin. Now tighten the nut and using an allen wrench rewind the spring-- I believe the book says about 4 1/2 turns. While holding the wrench, slip in the pinion pin. Before removing the allen screw, test that rewind is adequate-- not too tight but the handle pulls all the way in. If necessary, correct. Remove the allen bolt and insert the original screw to lock the pinion pin in place.

65f10

Recruit
Re: rewinding starter srping 1985 Force 15hp

hey..... thank you SOOOOO much. I really appreciate that helpful hint. I am on my way to the hardware store right now for the bolt and nut.