Chrysler impeller / water pump (70's) missing top plate & driveshaft stacking order

Jan Svade

Cadet
Chrysler impeller / water pump (70's) missing top plate & driveshaft stacking order

I have three Chryslers in various states. 1972 45hp (running), 1978 45hp (not running) and 1975 20hp (running). They all have the same impeller setup but none have the top plate from the exploded drawings in the manuals. All three just have the impeller in the water pump housing. Both of the running motors pump water ok. What are the issues (if any) from not running the top plate? Or is the top plate fixed inside the water pump housing and I am not seeing it as a separate part?

Also should the stacking order on the driveshaft be bottom plate, impeller, drive pin, pump housing...... or bottom plate, drive pin, impeller, pump housing?

Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler impeller / water pump (70's) missing top plate & driveshaft stacking ord

Re: Chrysler impeller / water pump (70's) missing top plate & driveshaft stacking ord

The older pumps don't have a inner housing.Just an aluminum housing.
Bottom plate,keyway/pin,impeller ,housing.
A bit of grease on the vanes of the impeller.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some pumps DID have a top stainless plate held from rotating by a *** in a groove. These are few and far between. I have only seen two and until your question, I had forgotten about them. Most Chrysler pumps let the impeller ride directly on the aluminum top of the pump housing. SO, in all likelihood, your pumps do not require or have the top plate.

Jan Svade

Cadet

Thanks for all your replies, I thought that it was too much of a coincidence having three different outboards all missing the same part.

Fucawi, I saw this about a week ago but I will leave that for when I reach advanced boatman in about 30 years.

Jan Svade

Cadet

Impeller is changed over and water is spraying out well. Looking to get the boat out for maiden voyage this weekend.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

not in PPB, l trust?
had to abort our snapper mission thanks to the weather..
not happy..

Jan Svade

Cadet

Westernport. Weather was rubbish bit still managed to get the boat in for a test.

Funny story..... when re-threading the cables around the steering spindle I reversed them so the motor was turning the opposite way to the wheel. Didn't notice until I was on the water. After cursing a bit I managed to think backward and get the boat back on the trailer. Got it home and fixed it up. Motor now turns the right way.

Thanks for all your replies, I thought that it was too much of a coincidence having three different outboards all missing the same part.

Fucawi, I saw this about a week ago but I will leave that for when I reach advanced boatman in about 30 years.

ok my 74 105 chrysler has this stainless steel plate thats the first part you put back on,and im having the same problem no tell tail.... only at high rpm.
So i should remove it?

wickware

Lieutenant

I feel my 1970 35 hp Chrysler had both top and bottom stainless plates (one is seen plainly).

Attachments

• 19 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985  -.JPG
    19 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 -.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Dollar you should start a thread of your own and give us more info on what's the problem?
2 stainless plates? Most only come with the one on the bottom.
Newer pumps have a stainless cup insert(depending on the motor)but not 2 plates.
If it's not cooling or no tell tale?
Profile,location? salt or fresh water?

Ok i have a 1974 chrysler 105 hp .. i've clean the pump and housing and it looked in ok shape. So it still wouldn't pump water at idle speed only at high rpm's and not much. pump info: it has only one steel plate and its on the bottom then the keyway /empeller/ and housing
Louisiana
fresh water
btw it had very small pits in the housing from corrosion.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

New impeller?Pics of the housing?
The pits are nothing to worry about.
If the impeller is new? Check the thermostat for opening at the right temp.
The older it is? The chances of the exhaust housing being full and clogging?

No, impeller is old,but it's in good shape. i will take it back apart to get pictures. /and check for clogs. i will have to search for the thermostat. ok one more thing i forgot to mention.. i'm a noob at boats. thanks for your time helping me.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you've gone to all the trouble to inspect the impeller???
Change it. It's not that expensive.
Sounds like the impeller is bad, maybe missing a part?

I found my problem..older model chryslers MUST be ran with tail in a water barrel 2 feet or more water or in the lake or what have you. not the ear muffs. it had something to do with priming the pump with water. Thanks for the help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpg

Depending on the lower unit?? You might need a special muff??
The motor should be able to draw enough water to prime if the muffs are fitting right.
Otherwise you need to be deep enough to cover the pump while in a bucket.
But since your running it at low/no water conditions??
You should really change the impeller.