Cold starting problems on 98 force 120 hp

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
When the boat off the water on muffs i can get the motor to start cold pretty easy. Seems like when the motor is on the water on a cold start after priming it will fire up and and rpms rev up then rpms will fall and die. withing 30 seconds. :facepalm: when i have a hard time trying to get it to run but once it runs i have no more problems. any help please???

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cold starting problems on 98 force 120 hp

Sounds fuel related but do a comp check and spark test on all 4cylinders. Now back to fuel. Check all fuel lines from tank to carbs including fuel pick up tube in the tank. Carbs may need cleaning and adjusting. Dirty or plugged fuel filter could be your prob. Also check the fuel return system and verify that it is functioning properly. If the fuel return gets plugged then it creates flooding and not allowing the wet spark plugs to fire properly. Check the fuel vent for proper venting, and make sure the primer bulb stays firm after primming. Can you verify that the choke is function while pressing in the key while starting. Most any motor will fire easy with the muffsonly because there is no back pressure at the exhaust .

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the reply! compression is good , i will check for spark when i go out again. but i thinks its fuel related because i would think if ign is a problem that it would be problem hot to. i gues i shoulda asked this before. if the motor isnt tilt all the way down before starting, could that be my problem? last time one carb is leaking fuel out.

Jiggz

Captain

It sounds like more of an engine orientation problem than anything else. You said if it's on the muffs starting even cold is not a problem. But when in the water you have cold starting problem and then added that "could it be because the engine is tilted up?" If the engine is tilted up, yes you will have starting problems even if you prime it with the bulb real good. Instead you should try to place the engine in the vertical as much as you can before priming and starting and you shouldn't have any starting problem. As for the fuel leaking out, it's normal if you have the engine tilted all the way up because the carb's bowl when tilted to one side will overflow through the main jets out the carb. And if you keep priming the bulb at this position you are basically wasting fuel without helping to start the engine.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

ahhh ok that does make a lot of sense! Ill try again this sunday and report back if any problems thanks for your time!:D