65 HP Chrysler 1977 starter tends to disengage flywheel

So I can still start my 65 HP Chrysler 1977 every time, but I am worried that some part of the dreaded Magnapower II ignition system is about to fail... because the bendix on the starter tends to disengage the flywheel after just a few seconds. Other times it'll chug right along until it starts, not most of the time though. Brand new marine battery so low voltage/amperage not the problem. New battery cables too. Can anyone tell me the likely causes of this and if I should just use it till it stops working at all, or can I do a preemptive fix? I suspect its starter motor or bendix related, but have little experience with outboards, this is my first. I have a decent multimeter, basic electrical knowledge, and the manual for my outboard, but I don't know how to test the system to find out the culprit here.

On a slightly different topic, is there any maintenance an outboard owner can do to a marine starter or bendix? Do you need to grease bearings or anything else? If friction was the cause of the issue, might a little grease in the right spot make a huge difference?

fucawi

Banned
Re: 65 HP Chrysler 1977 starter tends to disengage flywheel

For gods sake dont grease the inertia drive mechanism or you will make it stick and it will not engage ..If its working leave alone....If you have problems then wash in parafin or WD40 not petrol as you dont want it to rust.

Your pinion throwing out is normal if the engine tries to start ....it fires ...speeds up a little ...disengages the pinion but fails to run so you have to engage it again....Its all to do with choking /priming and engine conditon so it starts straight away..I would guess its fine when its warm ...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 HP Chrysler 1977 starter tends to disengage flywheel

The only maint on the starter is to take it apart and clean the contacts and make sure the brushes are good.
After a while the carbon from the brushes builds up and will short out the contacts and your starter won't work or will self destruct.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=515621 go to this thread and see what can happen to a dirty starter.
If it disengages too fast then it's weak and probably needs brushes.
I use a SMALL,VERY SMALL bit of white lithium grease on the worm gear.
If you dis-asemble the starter then the bottom of the armature needs a touch of grease in the bushing. Then the top bushing needs a touch.
Remember that a starter will last the life of the motor with a bit of PM.J