Bad starter again? please help 1997 40 force

t-wood

Cadet
Hi I have tried off and on through the summer to get this boat running. My dad got tired of seeing me struggle so he bought a boat that we have enjoyed. Well i need to get this fixed and get it sold. So i took it to a boat mechanic that said it has a bad starter and bad plugs.

Ok the starter was new in March the previous owner put it on and i have the receipt. Wires are heavy guage and original. Solinoid will light up my test light when the key is on. He checked the compression (150 on both), spark and maybe sometbhing else. But it cranks slow. I thought from reading on this forum that it was a fuel problem creating compression and thus not starting. Primer buld is always firm. There was a water leak from exhaust plate gasket that i fixed. I would guess that during our last successful outing the motor ingested water from the cowl filling with thsi water. But that water is long gone as we have had it on the water since then. Just didn't start consistently after that. The way it cranks you would think charging or battery. So i now have another new battery (thinking maybe first new one was bad) and i replaced the voltage regulator. Oh i replaced the plugs shortly after i bought it becasue they were original. Recent mechanic said they have fouled due to no starts from the starter.

I really want to be sure before i go removing the starter and tring to exchange it where it was purchased. Maybe they will maybe they wont. $159 is what the receipt is for. Any tips would sure be great. thank you in advance

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad starter again? please help 1997 40 force

if you haven't already, clean/rub ALL the battery terminals/cables/connections/earths with emery/sand paper etc until they're 'shiny'
cheers

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What chrome Dome said.

Corrosion in battery cable connections causes more stuff that ain't broke to get fixed than anything else I can think of.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

What chrome Dome said.

Corrosion in battery cable connections causes more stuff that ain't broke to get fixed than anything else I can think of.

Here's a couple of things that will help with the process of elimination.

1. Pull the plugs, does cranking speed increase significantly? Does the engine turn over freely by hand?
if no,

2. Pull the lower unit off, does cranking speed increase significantly? Does the engine turn over freely by hand?

If it's not easy to turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out and the lower unit removed then suspect crank shaft bearings. Start by removing the fly wheel and checking again for binding when turning over by hand. It should be very easy to turn the engine over so any binding at this point means you need to open her up and have a look inside.

If it turns over significantly better with the plugs out without seeing a mist of water squirt out of the cylinders then suspect the starter.

fucawi

Banned

What is above is the correct advice ..plugs out ..will it turn easy by hand ..any scraping sounds ....if it spins like a sewing maching but still cranks slow you could have a short in the starter . This is difficult to diagnose without an ammeter BUT if you take the starter off ( or remove the flywheel ) so there is no load on the starter it should spin at 11000 rpm if it has a short about 2000 rpm..Most people can tell the difference If you measure the battery volts when its running off load then there will be little drop if its ok ( only 40 A ) if the volts drop right down to 10 ish then it has a short at 400+ A

t-wood

Cadet

This is good info thanks,

The starter spins just as slow with the plugs out. I will try turning over the engine with the plugs out. Fucai the starter spinning should sound like a router rather than a drill right? Sorry but i am very familiar with woodworking tools and their sounds. Think i will try this test. thanks again

t-wood

Cadet

Motor turns free. Starter spins slow even without a load. So i removed the starter and opened it up. There was a lot of corrosion on the inside of the starter. You could see a definite line where water sat inside the starter case. Rust on the brush screws. So i used fine sand paper and did my best to remove rust and corrosion. Used compressed air to blow it all out. Put it all back together and it starts! Hopefully i can lake test it soon with the new sparkplugs and get it sold. Thanks all for your help!