Timing Tower pivot clamp cracked (Pics included)

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys,

I picked up a Chrysler 1057 HE (1973) Magnapower

I've been doing a tune up on it and i found this (see picture below)

Notice the crack on the right side of the thread? I'm worried this could break causing the timing to go out of sync and leave me dead on the water.

Can i find this part anywhere? Should i just fabricate a replacement or does anyone have a spare?

I'm located in Victoria, Australia. but im happy to buy the clamp if anyone has a spare!

c604b2d3.jpg
7760dfad.jpg
2fccc8dc.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing Tower pivot clamp cracked (Pics included)

Find a junker Force 85-125 from 1984 up to 1990. You can use one of the plastic blocks on top of the timing tower.

Lacking that, try to buy one new from a Mercury dealer. If you are handy, make one from aluminium--just be aware that one of the threads is left and the other is right. I don't remember which is which though. Reasonably certain the threads are 1/4 X 28 National fine (American) although they could be 1/4 X 20. Check with a thread gauge or known nut.

foodfisher

Captain

Your location suggests to me that you take the part to a machine shop and have one made out of metal, never to fail again.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your location suggests to me that you take the part to a machine shop and have one made out of metal, never to fail again.

Bingo, Part 18 is the one.

Cool, I can buy one for $4 off that site. Thanks guys you've been a big help!

It's a good month till summer here so it should arrive in time!

EDIT: Well that sucks

To comply with Mercury policy, Boats.net will not ship OEM Mercury parts outside of the United States.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now ive got the part number tracking one down that ships the Aus should be easier, I don't see where UPS get off charging $100usd to deliver something that fits in a envelope,

USPS were going to charge $10 from the original site, and $50 from other sites, seems a bit dodge.

Either way i should beable to get a replacement thanks guys!

EDIT: Found a site that ships to Australia with parcel postage, Ended up costing me $14.60... Not too shabby :) Easy once you have the part number.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Recieved the part, It's the correct one :)