• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Need info,1989 Force 125HP, Model#1251K9B

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info,1989 Force 125HP, Model#1251K9B

Hello,
    Need an engine to replace my blown Merc.
    Found a good priced one on Craigslist. Going to look at it this weekend.
    Owner says it needs a starter, available thru iboats, for about 160-200 dollars.
    What I want to know is;
    1- How reliable are these engines?
    2- How close to reality is the rated horsepower?
    3- What does this engine weigh?
    4- Would you own one and recommend it to your friends and family?
    5- Anything at all I should be wary of with these engines, such as parts availability, strange problems, etc.???

Thanks in advance for any good info.

Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
    gus
    Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
    Links to everything having to do with this restoration...
    1988/2014 Glasstream Resto-Mod
    INDEX...
    PAGE ONE
    PAGE TWO
    PAGE THREE
    PAGE FOUR
    Trailer Thread

Re: Need info,1989 Force 125HP, Model#1251K9B

I would use caution. 160-200 for the motor? Is it just the block or does it come with everything including lower unit. Everything meaning electrical, fuel pump, carbs, flywheel, starter, lower leg exc. The motor needs to have good compression and good spark to start with, that's a must. I would say keep looking if your getting the whole outboard for that price. Pretty sure the price should be around 800-1000 for a complete used outboard and 300-500both for a good used powerhead with electrical intact. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Comment

Do a compression/spark test before you buy.
      Motor is actually about 120,weighs about 350#
      Parts are everywhere.I'd sell one to my best friend(that tell U anything)
      Sent U a pm.Jerry
      IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
      NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

Originally posted by bentle View Post
        I would use caution. 160-200 for the motor? Is it just the block or does it come with everything including lower unit. Everything meaning electrical, fuel pump, carbs, flywheel, starter, lower leg exc. The motor needs to have good compression and good spark to start with, that's a must. I would say keep looking if your getting the whole outboard for that price. Pretty sure the price should be around 800-1000 for a complete used outboard and 300-500both for a good used powerhead with electrical intact. Good luck and I hope this helps.
        Hi bentle,
        Actually the price I qouted was for the starter through iboats.com

The guy is asking 400 dollars, NEGOTIABLE, for the engine, it is complete, but he says it needs a starter and the skeg is busted off at the bullet.

The reason he is getting rid of it is because he repowered his boat with a newer engine.

He also stated that this one ran about six months ago, we'll see about that...

I have already learned, Thanks to the Iboats forum, to be skeptical and cynical, when it comes to any type of statements regarding boats...
        Kind of like the fish story about the "monster" that got away...

I plan on looking at it tomorrow, and conducting a compression test, spark test, gear oil inspection, and general engine condition.
        The owner is OK with me doing this, and is willing to let me try and start the engine...
        I will take a couple of batteries with me and see if I can get it to fire up...
        And, if I can gat it any cheaper

Thanks, gus
        Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
        INDEX...
        PAGE ONE
        PAGE TWO
        PAGE THREE
        PAGE FOUR
        Trailer Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjerry05 View Post
          Do a compression/spark test before you buy.
          Motor is actually about 120,weighs about 350#
          Parts are everywhere.I'd sell one to my best friend(that tell U anything)
          Sent U a pm.Jerry
          Thank you Jerry,

The weight question was to make sure I would stay within the same ballpark as my ToP.

I definitely plan on a compression and spark test, and I am also going to check the gear oil and try to start it...

Got your pm regarding the starter, thanks...

Oh and by the way, after selling the engine to your best friend, would he still be your best friend?

Regards,Gus
          INDEX...
          PAGE ONE
          PAGE TWO
          PAGE THREE
          PAGE FOUR
          Trailer Thread

Comment

I already talked to the guy about going to look at it, but here is the link of off craigslist...

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2565457791.html
            INDEX...
            PAGE ONE
            PAGE TWO
            PAGE THREE
            PAGE FOUR
            Trailer Thread

Comment

Working...
            X