Need info,1989 Force 125HP, Model#1251K9B

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Hello,
Need an engine to replace my blown Merc.
Found a good priced one on Craigslist. Going to look at it this weekend.
Owner says it needs a starter, available thru iboats, for about 160-200 dollars.
What I want to know is;
1- How reliable are these engines?
2- How close to reality is the rated horsepower?
3- What does this engine weigh?
4- Would you own one and recommend it to your friends and family?
5- Anything at all I should be wary of with these engines, such as parts availability, strange problems, etc.???

Thanks in advance for any good info.

Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
gus

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need info,1989 Force 125HP, Model#1251K9B

I would use caution. 160-200 for the motor? Is it just the block or does it come with everything including lower unit. Everything meaning electrical, fuel pump, carbs, flywheel, starter, lower leg exc. The motor needs to have good compression and good spark to start with, that's a must. I would say keep looking if your getting the whole outboard for that price. Pretty sure the price should be around 800-1000 for a complete used outboard and 300-500both for a good used powerhead with electrical intact. Good luck and I hope this helps.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do a compression/spark test before you buy.
Motor is actually about 120,weighs about 350#
Parts are everywhere.I'd sell one to my best friend(that tell U anything)
Sent U a pm.Jerry

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I would use caution. 160-200 for the motor? Is it just the block or does it come with everything including lower unit. Everything meaning electrical, fuel pump, carbs, flywheel, starter, lower leg exc. The motor needs to have good compression and good spark to start with, that's a must. I would say keep looking if your getting the whole outboard for that price. Pretty sure the price should be around 800-1000 for a complete used outboard and 300-500both for a good used powerhead with electrical intact. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hi bentle,
Actually the price I qouted was for the starter through iboats.com

The guy is asking 400 dollars, NEGOTIABLE, for the engine, it is complete, but he says it needs a starter and the skeg is busted off at the bullet.

The reason he is getting rid of it is because he repowered his boat with a newer engine.

He also stated that this one ran about six months ago, we'll see about that...

I have already learned, Thanks to the Iboats forum, to be skeptical and cynical, when it comes to any type of statements regarding boats...
Kind of like the fish story about the "monster" that got away...;)

I plan on looking at it tomorrow, and conducting a compression test, spark test, gear oil inspection, and general engine condition.
The owner is OK with me doing this, and is willing to let me try and start the engine...
I will take a couple of batteries with me and see if I can get it to fire up...
And, if I can gat it any cheaper:D

Thanks, gus

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Do a compression/spark test before you buy.
Motor is actually about 120,weighs about 350#
Parts are everywhere.I'd sell one to my best friend(that tell U anything)
Sent U a pm.Jerry
Thank you Jerry,

The weight question was to make sure I would stay within the same ballpark as my ToP.

I definitely plan on a compression and spark test, and I am also going to check the gear oil and try to start it...:)

Got your pm regarding the starter, thanks...

Oh and by the way, after selling the engine to your best friend, would he still be your best friend?:rolleyes:

Regards,Gus