1987 force gas/oil mixture question

patrickj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive just bought a bas sboat with an 87 force and was wondering what mixture of gas an oil i should run, the guy at the marine shop says 100:1, my buddy said hell no run it at 50:1 and ive read online alot of people say run it at 24 or 36:1 for an older motor. This motor has only been run a total of about 2 minutes which have been this week. before this last week it hasnt been run in 3 years, because of this should i run it with more oil just to be safe?

dewey1

Cadet
Re: 1987 force gas/oil mixture question

I have an 89 force 50 hp and that motor is a 50:1 fuel to oil mix. which is like 12.8 oz of 2 stroke oil for 5 gallons of gas. It will say on the back of the oil can. If you put too much oil in the gas you will have alot of smoke and you will foul your plugs and you could be left with a stalled out engine. Make sure you bring an extra set of plugs and a way to install them in your boat in case your plugs foul up and you can change them on the water and continue with your trip. I use valvoline marine 2 stroke oil in my outboard it costs me about 23 dollars a gallon at car quest and I pour it in to my smaller oil cans so i can measure it before I put it in my gas tank.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 force gas/oil mixture question

Use only a 50:1 mix. 87 octane fuel. If you are near a walmart or a marine shop then get a mix bottle. It has the ratio numbers on it so you can put the exact amount of oil you will need. I personally like the evinrude tcw-3 or quicksilver oil myself. Just make sure the oil states for marine outboard use. These motors are not like a motor in your car. It will not perform well with heavier fuel mix. You will fowl plugs and have excessive carbon buildup on ring and pistons which can damage them and cylinder walls.