1998 40hp force head tourque specs??

nymusky

Cadet
Great site for a force owner.Just found site and enjoy reading the many posts.As a musky troller i troll ALOT @3-5.5mph and @ idle.Just recently i encountered an issue with my motor shutting down at top end(woohoo 23mph)lost power and the little damn buzzer went off....shut it down and electric motor back to the dock.Mechanic say`s carbon buildup,he seafoamed it and told me to run it with quikleen,compression was good.Done that went fishing and end of day seamed sluggish.Next day would idle in gear but once out stalled.Pulled out went to other waters and ran like crap.Milky water in bottom of cowl and pulled top plug-same color.Head gasket???i`ve got one cleaned up head and getting ready to bolt`er up.What i don`t have are the tourqe specs.Could someone help me out with that.I will be installing a new thermostat when it comes in as well.Can`t complain about this motor(she`s been good to me...as much as i`ve trolled for trout on lake ontario in the springs and for muskies over the past 5+yrs,this is the first problem i`ve encountered.Getting ready for the fall river trips and need my motor working good.Thanks for a great site and it seems that guys are very helpful.I`ll lend a hand when and if i can-I`m a fisherman not an outboard mechanic...probably should do something `bout that huh lol.
Thanks
Bob S

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 40hp force head tourque specs??

Welcome. You will want to torque to 225 inch pounds. Lightly coat threads and underside of bolt heads with marine 2 cycle oil. There is a pattern that you will need fallow2011-09-23_21-52-25_791.jpg.

nymusky

Cadet

When installing the gasket should i apply forma gasket-adhesive etc or bolt it up as is?
Bob s

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Just clean and shiny.No goop!!!
Any rough spots? Post a pic.J

nymusky

Cadet

I could try and post pic 2morrow-lapped head @ work-wet sanded.Some oxidation is still on surface where i believe it was bad.Did`nt want to take too much off.I`ll see what i can do about the pic.