1989 Force 50 HP - Carb Adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

httysctty

Cadet
I would like to know if anyone can tell me the exact setting for the carb on a 1989 Froce 50 HP 507Y9B. I have looked through a 100 postings and can not find one that helps. I have the manual(see pics), but question what it says. It was running pretty good to start with, but want to make sure I am getting the most out of the engine. I am concerned about running too rich! To seat it, I had to turn the screw 3 or 4 full turns clockwise. The manual says from there, turn conterclockwise ONLY 1 full turn. Then, turn in increments of 1/8 in either direction to find the "rough spots".

When I do this, the idle speed is much faster than before. Am I risking running it too rich? I do have the idle adjustment screw in pretty far, so this would allow be to back it out a little. Before I started messing with the carb, I pulled the plugs and noticed they we black after only running them once for an hour.

Any and all help is always appreciated.
Instructions - Force.jpgCarb - Front.jpg

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Force 50 HP - Carb Adjustments

I was just reading your thread and I noticed you said you had to turn 3-4 full turns to seat. Im assuming you meant lightly seated and the screw was way out 3-4 turns to start with. If however you turned it in with to much force then the needle valve is most likely damaged and will need replacing. As far as the adjusting goes it sounds like your doing it right but it should kinda stumble and die in either direction. One turn out is the standard factory setting from lightly seated, or just when you feel it stop. Then you would back it out one full turn and fine tune adjust it from there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

In till it just stops(gently)Then out 1 turn.
Then start it.In the drive you can get the basics.About 1150-1200rpm's.
Then go to the water.In gear and motor warm. The rpm's should be about 750-800
The air screw.Turn it in till it just starts to buck/stutter/cough etc.Then out 1/2 turn.Thats it.
Nothing hard.
The idle screw is on the side of the motor.The screw on the front is for air ONLY!!!
Look for the towershaft.The screw with the nut is where you set the rpm's.
1st thread is a linc and sinc by FrankA.Do that it will amke sure your carb is set up right.J

httysctty

Cadet

Thanks for both replies... I will put both into action this afternoon and respond.
Scott

Jiggz

Captain

Now that's the best way to post a question and get an accurate response quicker by providing the details and a picture!

httysctty

Cadet

Alright, thank you for all the help. I took her out today and she ran GREAT. I little more smoke than usual, but it fired more smoothe.

Quick question as I have this same motor. I took carb apart to mess with float. I haven’t messed with the screw in the front at all yet. My motor is right on the edge to start but it don’t start. Will the idle setting have anything to deal with it starting?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes it could.
Screw it in and count the turns???
Then turn it out 1 1/2 turns.
You might need t turn it out more, some need farther out?
One customer his 85 1985 need to be out 3 complete turns.

You using the fast idle?

Sometimes tilting the motor up and trying to start it can make it work?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Quick question as I have this same motor. I took carb apart to mess with float. I haven’t messed with the screw in the front at all yet. My motor is right on the edge to start but it don’t start. Will the idle setting have anything to deal with it starting?

Please start a new thread. This one has been inactive for almost 7 years and inactive threads are often ignored. Luckily Jerry saw it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.