1975 55 HP Chrysler outboard won't go forward.

i have to admit i'm new to boating and inexperienced when it comes to engine repairs. i bought a boat recently and was under the impression that all it needed was a new impeller and it would work fine, there were a couple of other problems that i fixed and im actually enjoying the project but this recent one has me stumped. i took the boat out on the water and started it up, the boat runs great and starts every time the boat will reverse properly and switches gears properly but when i go to put it in forward it will only go at a very low speed if at all. if i give it more gas it will either slip the gear or sputter and die. it may be unrelated but i have also noticed it runs slightly better with the top cover off, some things i read say that could be an exhaust leak but i figure it might be pertinent. my strategy right now is to check the shift rod and cables to make sure it is shifting properly into forward but i wanted to see if somone else had any ideas.

bvsteamer

Cadet
Re: 1975 55 HP Chrysler outboard won't go forward.

If you replaced the impeller,did you mark the nut that joins the two shift rods together? It sounds like you might have the shift rod misadjusted, which is common when replacing an impeller. The shift adjustment has to be pretty precise. Not a difficult adjustment, just a bit time consuming. Happened to me after replacing my impeller the first time on my 1969 55hp. Lots of posts on how to do it here on this forum.

Yeah I know I was having problems with that, i am in the process of readjusting it but I don't know if that is the only problem. What really confuses me is the fact that it dies when I give it throttle, it doesn't seem like that could be related to a shift rod adjustment.

jmulz824

Seaman

You wouldn't believe how much 1 turn of the nut on the shift makes in the adjustment, I have a bit of time in adjustment to get mine right. If it slips out of gear if could be the clutch dog, not sure why it would sputter or die though.

im going to try readjusting the shift cable and the shift rod and im really hoping that will fix the slipping, but i still dont understand why it would die when i try and give it gas only in forward, it revs fine and it goes backwards fine.

jmulz824

Seaman

Where is your idle speed at? If the idle is too low that could be cause for it to die or sputter. Check your air fuel screw, adjust it per your manual, I know on my 69 it is 1 and 1/2 turns out.

If it is sputtering, either not enough fuel, or not enough air normally causes this issue. Could be a carb issue when the motor is under a load.

Just my .02$

yeah i was reading some other things that indicate it could just be a carb adjustment problem so thats what im going to try tonight, i dont have my manual but im hearing alot of people say 1 - 1 1/2 turns out. i really hope it is just something simple like that.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like Jerry always says.... Check compression, spark, fuel delivery. I have a 73 55hp that did this very thing, turned out to be only running on one cylinder. These motors will idle very well on one cylinder (at least mine will). 1 1/16-1-1/8 turn is where my happy spot is.

A good place to start with your motor is clean the carb or carbs thoroughly, replace the fuel pump diaphram, new plugs. This will clear up ALOT of issues, but first do the comp test, spark test and let us know what you find.

well i adjusted the shift rod nut to perfection (that took a while) and there was actually a section of the linkage that was loose so i tightened that up. it shifts properly now and i adjusted the carb too. the engine didn't like it at 1 turn so i went about 1 1/4. i got it to shift reliably into forward and revved pretty good in gear. last thing is to actually get it out on the lake and fine tune the carb adjustment and make sure it will be able to get some forward speed because there is only so much testing you can do in a garbage can of water(and you have to refill it after a few seconds). I'm hoping to get out this weekend and it would be a pleasant surprise to have a boat that is ready to go for next season.

Please let us know how she goes on your next trip to the lake. I have a similar shifting problem but I think its the clutch dog, though it could also be shift linkage. I would have to rev the engine to get my Chrysler 65 hp into forward gear, so much it makes the boat shudder. Then it would also slip out of gear sometimes. That can't be good. Reverse was no prob tho. Yesterday I was on the water when, I believe, that jarring jolt into gear caused the shear pin to let go. At least I hope its the shear pin. I'm going to go find out today.
Again, let us know how yours goes when you put her in the water!

Well I finally got out on the lake yesterday and I found that I had in fact fixed the shifting issue it also does not die when it is given more gas the issue now is it has incredibly low power. It also seemed to have a lot of fuel and oil coming from the weep holes so I figured it must be running on only one cylinder. Sure enough I'm testing it out right now and it seems only the top cylinder is firing because when I remove the bottom spark plug wire nothing happens but the top one kills the engine. I replaced both of the spark plugs but I have a suspicion that the bottom one isnt firing, how to I check? Also I checked the compression and both cylinders are at 120 psi.

so I've been reading a lot of things about the ignition system and i think I'm going to check the points and the condensers tomorrow. as far as i know those are both under the flywheel so il have to get that of, is there any special way to get it off and then replace it? i think i remember reading that if it isn't torqued correctly it can shear something. does anyone know what it should be torqued to?

jmulz824

Seaman

The flywheel isn't too tough to remove. On my 69 55HP, all I did was use a 3 armed puller, loosened the flywheel nut, put some tension on the puller, then use a large pry bar or screw driver to pry up on the flywheel and tap the bolt on the puller so your not putting too much tension on the crank. A little pry from the screwdriver and tap from the hammer, pulls right off.

I believe the torque is 85 ft lbs on the flywheel.

I imagine the condensers are probably the same, Napa # FM200 or Borg Warner # FG3, I'm not a fan of Napa parts and haven't had any issues with the Borg Warner ones I installed.

i have been looking through store after store for 3 days for a flywheel puller that will work on my engine, I'm trying to get one of the bolt style because i have 3 bolt holes in the top of the engine but nowhere i look has one large enough, i need it to be about 2 3/4 inches from the center bolt to the outer bolts with the 3 bolts in an equilateral triangle. i was afraid to use a claw style because i didn't want to break the teeth on the outer rim but i just might have to if i cant find a bolt style one.

jmulz824

Seaman

I used the claw style, worked fine, just don't put a lot of pressure on it. Snug it up, then use prybar or big screw driver to put pressure on from below, then just tap the bolt on the puller with a hammer, should come off.

As long as you don't just crank on the puller it shouldn't hurt the teeth. It didn't on mine.

wickware

Lieutenant

I thought ?Automotive Harmonic Balance Pullers? (attached) from basic auto stores worked. Or! From industrial supplies (Norton Tools, Harbor Freight) worked. I modified a universal puller to work on the F/W also. Pulling the F/W has been a Big Challenge for many that could cause additional damages if good practices and patience are not applied. Good Luck! jow

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Harmonic Balance Puller.jpg
    Harmonic Balance Puller.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

so i finally got the flywheel off, i use the term "i" loosely here of course because after trying harmonic balancer pullers, claw pullers, an axle puller and two crow bars i finally took it to the only boat mechanic in the city with a puller that would fit it and paid him 40 bucks to take it off haha. it was rusted on there so im sure it will be easier if i ever have to take it off again and i can do it with just a crow bar after he showed me how. either way as soon as i got home and looked at everything i noticed that there was a huge crack to the point where i could see copper wiring in the magneto coil in line with the bottom cylinder. "well theres your probem" is effectively what i thought. unfortunately the condensors would have been 8 bucks at napa, the coil i had to order from a local store and it is 136 + 25 freight to get it here in 5 to 10 days as oppossed to over a month. im still hoping to get this thing running properly before i winterize it and store it so i'm crossing my fingers that this is the last problem. also i dont think my engine is a 1975, serial is 555BA guy at the shop says its older, preliminary google says 1970? if anyone can confirm that would be great. i will update when i fix it.

EDIT: i also was wondering if it is a good idea or really really bad idea to grease the point where the flywheel meets the driveshaft, like i said it was rusted before and id like to avoid that in the future. the shaft is tapered so if it is torqued correctly im pretty certain it will hold but i dont know if this is a good idea or not. if it is should i grease it or is there some sort of corosion protectent i should use?

apperently its older then i think

apperently its older then i think

well i ordered the part i needed from a local store and it finally arrived, unfortunately it is completely the wrong part. so i want to see if there is a place online where i can get this part but the ones i keep finding look nothing like it, i want to get someones advise on this. the part number the store gave me is FA12345. this LOOKS right but i don't know if it is..... my engine has a serial of 555BA which puts at 1970 not 75 so i don't know if it is the right part or if i'm even looking in the right area. now there are a bunch that look different but say they replace this part such as http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...&gd_poid=334769&gd_row=4&**********=811206045.

this is the part i need i think...

2011-10-15 15.15.572.jpg2011-10-15 15.16.152.jpg2011-10-15 15.16.322.jpg

EDIT: i am making a new thread because my question has changed from diagnosis to part identification and i am not getting any replies on this thread.

Last edited:

Jon Butler

Recruit
Re: apperently its older then i think

Re: apperently its older then i think

I have a Chrysler 20HP, prob 1982. How did you get on with adjusting your gear shift assembly to get forward. I cant select forward as the lever wont go far enough around. It goes into reverse early and neutral is still engaged in reverse, and so with the lever in forward position its still in neutral.

Jon Butler

Recruit

I have a Chrysler 20HP, prob 1982. How did you get on with adjusting your gear shift assembly to get forward. I cant select forward as the lever wont go far enough around. It goes into reverse early and neutral is still engaged in reverse, and so with the lever in forward position its still in neutral.