1982 Chrysler 105HP - lower unit oil change?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Chrysler 105HP - lower unit oil change?

The first link/article is right on the money. It is a relatively easy procedure unless the flathead screws are stripped. Really there should be no surprises (hope I didn't jinx you ;)) If there are just ask and someone here will guide you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The first link is not correct for yout 1982 Chrysler. It has three plugs: Drain, fill, and vent.

First you locate the drain plug. It will be one of three types: A plug just like the fill and vent, a 5/16 socket set screw, or a 1/8 NPT slotted pipe plug. It will be located either on the bottom of the gearcase torpedo in front of the skeg or on the side of the skeg/gearcase junction.

With the engine vertical, you open the drain, fill and vents and let the old oil drain out. After draining, replace the drain plug and fill through the fill hole until oil issues from the vent hole. Wait about 1/2 hour for air bubbles to rise then top off again through the fill until oil comes out the vent. Replace both plugh tightly.

DO not mistake the shift pivot screw recessed on the side of the gearcase nose for the drain. I repeat: The drain will either be UNDER the nose at the front of the skeg or on the SIDE of the SKEG/GEARCASE junction, about center of the skeg.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

See, I almost Jinxed you, thanks Frank :)