steering cable frozen

hoagie

Cadet
Now that I know that my engine runs ( 1986 125 Force ) I need to fix my steering cable it is frozen and won't move. Is there a way to fix it for a little while until I get a new one? Another question where is the best place to get one? I have a 18.5 ft Bayliner capri.

Hoagie

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering cable frozen

Is it frozen in the steering tube or actually frozen in the cable?
Undo the steering connector on the end of the cable.
Try to move the motor by hand.It should be free.If not thats another problem.
Then try the steeringwheel.
On th end of the cable is a big nutloosen it..It holds the cable in the steering tube.Use a rubber mallet and try to move the cable out of the steering tube.
It should come out easy.If not a bit of heat will help.DON"T use a hammer on the end of the steering cable.It will mushroom and not come through the tube.
Someplace on the cable is the size.It's stammped in the cable it will be in inches or feet.That's the size you need.Don't get one longer or shorter.It will not fit.Some say a bit longer will be ok.NOT!!! You have no place for extra cable.J

If your motor is siezed? Contact me and i'll give you a description and some pics on how I fixed my.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where do you apply the heat to these.

My 1978 85 hp merc cable does not move.

I have a collar nut on the starboard side of the steering tube that I can remove and get the cable to move away from the steering cable tube.

I do not see a nut on the port side of the steerign tub. here is a little bar protrudes with a hole in it that has a threaded linkage bar go through it that connects to the motor. It appears this little protruding bar is supposed to move in and out to controll the steering of the outboard. Do I hit this bar with the heat?

Also when I put a grease gun up to the nipple on the steering tube it did not want to go in. I assume it did, but after ten pumps I did not see it coming out of any seals. I just saw small incriments coming out of the grease gun tip area. (not the entire pump, I'd say only 10% of the pump.)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Use heat only if the cable won't come out of the steering tube.
Undo the nut on the stbd side.Then try to pull the cable out.
There should be an L shaped bar attached to the end of the cable.Remove that.Then pull the steering cable out.
If you unhook the cable and the motor won't turn then the mid section needs work.
Not sure about the grease /nipple not going in.Post a pic of what you have.
Your in the Force section.Just tell everyone it's a Mercury / Force.J