35 HP Chrysler Dies after startup...

OldFaithful

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about boats/engines :)

I recently obtained a fiberglass boat with 35 HP Chrysler motor.

I am having challenges getting the motor to stay alive.

When I turn the key, the starter kicks in, the motor starts and the key returns to position, the engine dies.

Accidentally, I found that if I turn the key and the engine starts, if I hold the key "turned" and put the boat in forward, drive, it stays alive, but I have to hold the key turned like in start position. If I let the key go back into normal position, the engine dies.

I don't know if this is doing more harm than good, but maybe this can help pinpoint the issue with the engine.

I wanted to attempt to solve the problem on my own, with your help and guidance of course :) However, if this issue is a complex one I will just take the engine to a marina for repair although I do not want to invest further money into this engine.

If anyone has any recommendations on what I can do, fix, replace to make this engine run as it should I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time :)

-- The model number on the engine is: 3542, not sure if that helps or not, thanks

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 35 HP Chrysler Dies after startup...

Do you have history on the motor?s past, if this motor is not new to you w/o any history?

Such as:

1. Has the switch been a problem in the past?

2. Has the switch ever been replaces with a "stock" switch?

3. What year model? Is it a magneto ignition sys vs electronic & batt needed?

4. Has the motor been in regular use, stored for years, stored trapped or out of the weather?

5. Does the motor run fine past this point in forward and reverse?

6. Do you understand how to hot wire the motor by running 12V from the Battery to the ignition block?

My guess is the switch is killing it or not giving it the volts to continue to run. If so, WHY! jow

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree wickware, it sounds almost like the ignition switch is wired wrong, or the kill switch may be on/wired wrong too? Here is a link to various wiring diagrams for your 35 http://www.maxrules.com/fixforcewiring.html If you can send us a pic of the side of the motor with all of the wiring going into a block that would be helpful as there are multiple ignition types. Your motor is a 1968 so I am guessing it is a points magneto ignition, but it may also have an alternator. Follow the ignition switch wiring diagram to make sure your switch is right, then get back to us.

wickware

Lieutenant

You might just need to spray some TV Tuner Spay into the key hole and work it good if it has been tarpped or sitting for awhile. That is what save me a 2nd switch knowing I could hot wire the motor to run fine. jow

wickware

Lieutenant

My 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System's wiring block. jow

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (3).JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (3).JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 0

OldFaithful

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback.

I will take a photo of it when I go up to the cottage this weekend. The fellow that had the boat before us told us there was no problems with it. That he just had a marine mechanic look at it to confirm everything was ok prior to us getting it... but I don't know if this is entirely true because he also said when he used the boat he just used regular gas, no oil mix, and everything I've found says it requires a 50:1 oil mix.

I am unsure how to hotwire it to get it run bypassing the switch, I will look into this further to see if I can test it via this suggestion.

I appreciate all the feedback and will post my findings when I return Monday.

Thank you :)

wickware

Lieutenant

OldFaithful, Did the seller take you for a test ride on the lake to show you the boat & motor?s performance? Most of all, the little thing about maintaining as he had. The gas mix matter might be saying? A Lot? or a mistake. I feel the ref was to grade of fuel vs mix ratio or the engine probably would have locked.

My seller in 1985 really knew the values of all the little fine points along with the good long ride on the lake. I Thank Him To This Day ?In Memory? Of His Tips And Values! As I learned I added and deleted to and from his tips. The initially and major tip I deleted was running the boat dry before leaving the lake ?Every Time?! He probably d/n know I tried to go out every week of 3 mo of summer fishing, then I ran it dry until I learned of Sta-Bil. Talk To Your Seller!! jow

fucawi

Banned

If it has coils then the ignition switchsupplies 12v to the coils ..just put in the run positon and see if you have 12v to the coils, It is stopped just by diconnecting the 122v supply.

If it has the plug wires comming from under the flywheel it is magneto igniton and it is stopped by shorting out the contacts ...two more thin wires come from under the flywheel and go to the igniton switch for this purpose .

The igniton switches for the two types are different and not interchangable