Need help 85 force MISSING "sneezing very hard" crab issue

yoyopurple

Recruit
Hi so im kinda new to this site, i have a 85 force its a 87. i bought tons of stuff to try to improve performance, but its still giving me some headaches.

So i change 2 coils, IMPELLER,FUEL DIAPHRAGM, PORT COVER GASKET, INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET, SPARK PLUGS. did a compression test 1# 115 2#115 3#114

when start it fires up, but when warm sometimes i have to choke it to start it when its warm. im at WOT turning 4500 but running to lean.

i go to fix the idle air screws but the first carb, at 1 1/4 screws revs hi like it should but misses and coughs like no other. THE BIG PICTURE is that when my carbs are adjusted like how the settings are suppose to be, it misses at a idle and kills the boat. But if i can get it to run at all 1 1/4 turns it turns 5000rpm but wont idle because it sneezes and coughs like crazy

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help 85 force MISSING "sneezing very hard" crab issue

Pull the carbs and check the reeds.
Check the fuel pump diaphram again.Clean the carbs.Water in the gas???
Air screw out 1 and 1/16 turn out and leave it there.Air screw have NO effect on high speed.
The high speed jets in the carb do that.Make sure they are clean.
The idle in gear(driveway)1150-1200.
In the water 750-800rpm's.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Edit

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Any air in fuel lines can cause this also. Check fuel lines from tank to motor. Replace any as needed. Reeds will also cause these prob. and while at idle there will be some spitting and slight popping noises out of one or both carbs.

yoyopurple

Recruit

thanks for everyone who replied.

it only does this on the top carb. oh yeah did i mention that haha.

fuel diaghprham is on right made sure of it. i didnt check air in the fuel lines. but the primer bulb is pretty dang stiff seems like all that pressure is still there. i

havent checked for water in fuel, i figured that it only happens on the top carb so it might be something with that carb.

TO GET IT TO STOP COUGHING AND SNEEZING ID HAVE TO ADJUST THE AIR/MIX SCREW AT 2/12 TURNS VERY LEAN thats proabably why its not running at tops speeds like it should be.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I have mine set to 1 1/2 turns out and it starts and runs fine on land on muffs. I turned all the carbs to 1 turn out just to see how it would run and it was harder than a motherlover to start and it would cough and pop very loudly while trying to start.