86 Force 125 adding Temp Guage and Water Pressure guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to add both a temp gauge and water pressure gauge to my 86 Force 125. Just purchased boat and have spent time and money getting it running great, so want to make sure I have no issues.

1. Is this the correct port that I can install a water pressure gauge in? (see arrow in image)

2. Will the overheat buzzer sensor also work to send temp readings to a new temp gauge, or do I need to install temp gauge sensor in port above? (can I just run temp gauge directly off existing overheat buzzer feed)

3. If temp guage hooks up to port above, where would I install water pressure gauge?

Thanks for your help!

I new to boat motors, but learning quickly!

Mark

water port.jpg IMAG0373.jpg IMAG0374.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 Force 125 adding Temp Guage and Water Pressure guage

Overkill!! One or the other.
On top of the head is a SS screw that(maybe U can get it out) is where you install the pressure guage or the temp probe.
The small screws in #1pic are for a pressure relief mechanism(probably can't remove that either).They are probably corroded.
The sensor is for taht setup only.The sensor won't match any guages.
One of the simplest things to do:Make sure the overheat works(ground out the wire).Then install a tell tale.Again using the top screw.J

foodfisher

Captain

Agree w/Jerry. Telltale and working overheat buzzer is all I have on mine. '86 just like yours, which by the way looks pretty clean.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a temp gauge or a water pressure gauge but I did install a telltale out of the top of the block and down with a hose and out through the lower cowl. Easy. 10 bucks at the most. I can tell at a glance, even at startup in the driveway that my impeller is working the way it should be. Shoots water 3 feet out at idle and maybe 5 at WOT. If you stick your hand in the stream you can easily tell what is going on. Trouble free, relatively idiot proof cooling insurance. I have the same motor, only a year older. If you want I can post a pic.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Overkill!! One or the other.
On top of the head is a SS screw that(maybe U can get it out) is where you install the pressure guage or the temp probe.
The small screws in #1pic are for a pressure relief mechanism(probably can't remove that either).They are probably corroded.
The sensor is for taht setup only.The sensor won't match any guages.
One of the simplest things to do:Make sure the overheat works(ground out the wire).Then install a tell tale.Again using the top screw.J

Thanks for the info. Oh, and I am OK with overkill...:eek: For example my play-car is a 1966 Lincoln Continental, the king of over-engineering and overkill...I like the pretty lights and gauges too! :rolleyes:

In Pic 1 I am attempting to point at the square fitting that appears to go into the block, not the small screws (sorry my arrow is not that good)

I will look for the SS screw in the top of the head that you mentioned tomorrow, but I have not been able to find anything other than the fitting in this pic.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a temp gauge or a water pressure gauge but I did install a telltale out of the top of the block and down with a hose and out through the lower cowl. Easy. 10 bucks at the most. I can tell at a glance, even at startup in the driveway that my impeller is working the way it should be. Shoots water 3 feet out at idle and maybe 5 at WOT. If you stick your hand in the stream you can easily tell what is going on. Trouble free, relatively idiot proof cooling insurance. I have the same motor, only a year older. If you want I can post a pic.

I would love to see a pic of yours, will definately help with setting mine up!

Thanks!

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just remembered my dad has my boat and I cannot snap a pic for at least a week or so. However, what I did was: Start by looking in the the very first sticky at the beginning of this forum (Can I add a telltale...). Mark42 posted a picture of his, find it. You can see in the picture where on top of the block you are going to install this. I started with a 1" long brass nipple (1/4" npt I believe), then I elbowed over with a 90 degree elbow, then a barbed fitting with a 1/8 hole. I pointed mine to the port side because then I don't have to turn as far to see it and then it doesn't squirt on my swim platform. After the barb is in place I put fuel line on the barb and zip tied it neatly down the side. I drilled a hole in the lower cowl, about 1 inch below where the upper cowl sits. Then I put a rubber grommet in the hole. Then I slid the fuel line through and trimmed for length, mine sticks out about 3/4". I purchased all my parts at my local Menards, nothing fancy, I got brass so I didn't have to worry about putting teflon tape or pipe thread compound on the little fittings. Plastic would probably be fine, not as strong if you inadvertantly bump it though, over time it might crack also. Also, make sure you don't have a section of the line that will hold water and break in freezing weather, mine goes straight down so it drains and curls out at the bottom to exit the lower cowl. Eric

Jneeley

Recruit
Where can I find a replacement temp sensor for my alarm? It broke off and I can’t find one anywhere, 1985 Chrysler force 125hp

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Golly,
9 yr old post re-hash

I believe you won't find a part for a 1985 Chrysler....coz they stopped making them in 1984

A 1985 Force is the same thing though.....it's still a Chrysler, just has a new 'fancy pants' name

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That year they used 2 different ones?????
You need to start your own thread and I can put the right part#
Model A or B ????
Yours a plug type or a stud sticking off the head?
A picture of the head will tell me what I need to know.

The older A model is NLA the B is about $60 new.
They sell them on ebay.
Send me a PM with your email.

Status
Not open for further replies.