60 hp chrysler specs

bkaplon

Recruit
I believe its an 85. just wondering if anyone has the carb specs and what was a standard pitch prop.

Thank you

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60 hp chrysler specs

Can you supply pics and a model # from the tag? You will find this under the carb or carbs mounted on the pan. It is a little silver plate, post the #'s here and I am sure someone can help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What specs you looking for? How to set or replacement parts?
The prop can be 5-6 different ones.Depending on if it's for a pontoon or V bottom.It should have some#s on it somewhere.
Do a compression and a spark test.Make sure it's worth messing with.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

This was a twin carb engine and the latest it can be is 1984 as Chrysler sold out to Force in 84-85 and the 60 was no longer made. The Tillotsen WB 29 A carbs are 1 5/16 venturi diameter and usually--I don't remember and I'm not going to take off my bowls to see-- usually about .076-.078 main jet size.

Low speed needles are set like any other carb--start at 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated and adjust from there. Do not go leaner than 3/4 turns out.

There is no standard pitch prop. What you use depends upon the hull size and weight. Stock props ranged from 10 3/8 diameter by 12, 13, and 14 pitch to 11 X 14. DO NOT under prop this engine. It develops its torque rapidly and the lower unit gears are undersized. On a hole shot, too low a pitch will allow the engine to accelerate into its power band too fast and strip the gears.

Stock props were a closed hub, 13 spline, 7/8 diameter shaft. Examples are 494-14 and 486-13. These props can not be found new and must be bought on auctions like ebay as used or new-old-stock. The lower unit had an extended prop shaft designed to accept a "flare washer" and tailcone.

Mercury 40-50 horsepower propellers will fit and no loss of performance will be seen with these open hub props.

You have the best designed engine Chrysler ever made. Too bad the Force line did not continue it. However, if it has Magna Power II ignition and the ignition is not working, it will need to be retrofit to Prestolite ignition. The MagII was a poor design and failed regularly. No replacement parts are available for it.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

As my buddy stated, it was one of their better ideas. This is a looped charged as opposed to crossflow motor.

From a modification standpoint, the potential for hp is there.

I always want to get hold of one and see what I could make it do.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While externally it looks like a loop charged engine, it is in reality a crossflow design, although it is taken to the pinnacle of that design. Pistons are very similar to current Force pistons except that they have two large ports in the bypass side of the skirt.

The engine itself is 3.375 bore by 2.80 stroke just like later Force 2 cylinder engines. The crankshaft is about twice as massive as the earlier design 35, 45,55 engines as you can see in the comparison photo. The engine has long rods which are even more massive and slightly longer than later model Force long rods and will not fit any other crankshaft. Crankpins are a larger diameter.

102_6496.jpg102_6495.jpg102_6498.jpg102_6497.jpg

The wrist pin, which is a larger diameter than standard Chrysler is moved up about 1/4 inch in the piston. The block is "packed" with a "bubble" cast in the side acting as a bypass channel. Four large rectangular ports on the bypass side connect the ports in the piston to the bypass ports and charge the cylinder. Two large rectangular exhaust ports in each cylinder feed two separate and equal length runners in the exhaust chest. These lead to a tuned megaphone in the midleg.

As far as modification, I suppose that some improvement could be found, but the Chrysler engineers have already done most of the work.

Photos to follow.

For you older model airplane buffs: This engine reminds me of a very early model engine called the Dooling. It was extremely advanced for its time and featured die cast cylinder blocks, slip in cylinder liners, rear disc valve intake, and porting very similar to the Chrysler.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6499.jpg102_6500.jpg102_6502.jpg102_6503.jpg102_6501.jpg

More photos. This engine is a 1984 model. It was made in 55, 60, and 65 Horsepower versions. This type was made with either Magna-Power II ignition or Prestolite, which is the better and this engine has. The lower unit was a mini-me of the one piece Chrysler and Force lower units, however, this series engine was made earlier with a lower unit similar to the early 50 force pin drive prop. You can see that this lower unit was also designed to use the black plastic flare washer and tailcone, again, a smaller version of the Chrysler three and four cylinder models.

I believe that Magna-Power II ignition equipped engines had a full cast cover over the coils on the head. The starter motor is very similar to OMC starters and mounts similarly, but is just different enough so that they won't swap.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never got to see the inside of one. You da Man!

I cannot see the transfers very well, is there commiunication between the upper and lower bridges? I also cannot see how the charge gets from the crank chamber to the transfers. I read your description but am a little slow.

Depending on the width of the exhaust, getting rid of the bridge and reshaping the roof of the port would add quite a bit.

Long rods are good. The piston spends more time at tdc thus doing more work.

Send me a block that I can look at and I will send it back with clean straight cylinders.

Chris

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Gas flow in the block is through the piston side ports, through the lower bypass ports, through the "bubble" and into the upper bypass ports. Then it is deflected by the baffle up into the cylinder and combustion chamber. You can not remove the center web in the ports. Port size is limited to about 1/3 of piston diameter to prevent ring protrusion, catching, and breaking. Removing the bridge between upper and lower probably will not add anything as this is blinded by the ring section of the piston anyway. Squaring the piston skirt ports would probably add some power. As far as less friction---I think it would be negligable. However, for racing purposes, every little bit helps. I suppose that the bypass side of the piston skirt could be reduced in size, but that is the side where the side thrust is.

Unless you have facilities to either make oversized pistons or modify late model Force oversized pistons, it is not worth boring these blocks since no pistons of any sort are available unless you happen to know an old dealer who just happens to have a couple NOS on hand.

Yeah, 2 cycle port timing is esoteric but the Japanese have made it a science. You can reshape port roofs and retime them for more horsepower. You can also modify for top RPM or low end torque but you can't have both.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Removing bridges is a function of width and shape. (I was speaking of the exhaust)

We will typically go no more than 70% of the bore on ex ports for a motor that will be torn down often.

Gordon Jennings "Two Stroke Tuners Handbook" is a good read, Try it sometime.

Ya know Frankie............for a produce salesman, you have quite a bit of knowledge stored in your bucket.

Chris