150hp force outboard has no power to starter or choke

geis86

Cadet
i have a 150hp force outboard and i'm not getting any power to the starter or choke. i just replaced starter, solenoid and batteries. i have 12v goin into the starter solenoid but nothing coming out after i turn the key. any help would be great

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 150hp force outboard has no power to starter or choke

Check for tripped circuit breaker. Little black box port side in engine compartment lower cowl area. There will be a little button on the side. If its out then push it back in to reset it. If it pops back out after starting then recheck all connections. Good luck and let us know what you find.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you have power to the solenoid and after you turn the key and you hear a click.Then no power at the other post.More than likley the solenoid is bad.You sure the ground was reconnected?
No click?Key switch? Then the solenoid is bad.Safety switch?
Some boats,have a fuse under the dash.J

geis86

Cadet

I checked the circuit breaker and thats fine has 12v goin in and back out. I put on a new solenoid but still nothing when i turn the key no clickor anything. I even checkek the ignition switch and have power to it and power coming out of the switch when you turn the key.

celtic gelf

Seaman

is your boat hitting the neutral switch saying it's okay to start???? not sure but if that switch is bad or not being tripped it may not start.

celtic gelf

Seaman

finally a 150 I can compare with thanks good luck...keep us posted if you find what it was.. thank you...you checked the safety switch?

geis86

Cadet

I have not checked the neutral safety switch, not sure where it is located or how to do it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Neutral safety is located on the motor.It has yellow and black leads going to it.It's near the cables.J

geis86

Cadet

I have seen that switch but wasnt sure what it was, can you tell me how to check or how to bypass it?

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is no the safety switch, if the safety switch is bat or off, still the choke have to work ... with a test light , check for power to the choke when you push the key and for power in the solenoid when you turn the ignition switch to crank position, is no power in ether ways most like it is the ignition switch, now you say that there is power going out of the switch, it could be just for the accessory , by colors track the wires that go to the choke and to the starter, from the ignition switch to the motor, check connectors, I was working in a bayliner that had same problem, and it was the connector that connect the ignition switch with the main harness...also check the harness connector in the motor, ...now if you have power in the solenoid , and I assume is in the yellow wire ,( because the red ..is the battery cable and is steady 12V)...when pushing the key and the solenoid won't click ...two things...bad solenoid or bad ground....to bypass the safety switch , just disconnect it

celtic gelf

Seaman

actually to bypass it you have to jump it if disconnect it'll sense it's not working....and therefore not allowing you start...it's the same principle as jumping the switch during w.o.t. timing test...or you will not get spark to the plug...or allowing to you start the engine..

geis86

Cadet

I got the power situation figured out, it was a ground wire. The boat turns over now but still have the same problem as i did before i had the starter rebuilt and that the starter is dragging when engaged like the batteries are dead. So still more to figure out. Any other suggestions would be great and thanks to all who all had given me advice.

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well it depend what switch are we talking about, if it is the neutral switch , you have to jump it, if its the safety switch that Mercury and Forces usually have outside the control box , the way to bypass it is disconnect it, if you jump it you are shorting to ground the switch box, and eventually won't have spark...but it will crank...

now to ..geis86...pull the plugs and check if you are having moisture in the cylinder, had the same problem ... the starter getting hot , the battery terminals very hot, and found water in the cylinders, it was very hard for the starter to turn the motor... getting into the cylinders from the exhaust plate gasket , leaking into the cylinders....or you may have a bad battery cables..some time they have corrosion inside and you can't see it, ..try a set of good jumper cables from the battery to the solenoid (+ ), and the (-) to a good ground in the block

geis86

Cadet

Jiffyboat, i pulled the plugs and there is oil residue and no sign of moisture. Motor spins over no problem nothing bound up or anything. Pulled all thecables and cleaned them and went direct to the solenoid and block with cables. I'm thinking maybe a starter but a lot of money to spend if thats not it.

geis86

Cadet

Also wanted to mention that the starter gets hot but not the cables

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Hate to say this but it sounds like its time for a new starter. If you shop around a bit
you will find one at a reasonable price. Also if you use a remote starter switch hooked to the solenoid you don't need to disable or jump safty switch. Not that that has anything to do with your prob. Just thought to throw it out there.

geis86

Cadet

Thanks for the link, i think new starter also. Heres the quetion now.... do i go with the cheap starter or spend more and go with oem or arco brand? Any suggestions?

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the best is the best..ask your wallet

geis86

Cadet

It was the starter, thanks for everyones feedback. I put the new starter in last night and all works well again.