89 force 85hp Green Trigger wire event

Seagrub

Cadet
Hi, I just wanted to share an experience I had today out on the water and possibly get some insight on the subject,I took my boat out on a test run after tune up etc...all seemed well until the engine suddenly reducedto idle while under way then stalled? after removing the hood I noticed that the Green trigger wire from the stater had snapped off of the ring terminal due to age and vibration, so I quickly whipped out a flathead screwdriver and re attatched the bare wire to the screw and then she fired right back up and seemed back to normal,then I noticed that for the first time with this engine it was overcharging at 16-17+ before the wire snapped it was under 14? I'm just trying to figure this out, the only difference is that the there is a temporary bare wire on the screw vs a ring terminal? could the event have sparked trouble?
any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 89 force 85hp Green Trigger wire event

My thought would be, you only had a strand or three of the entire wire connected to the ring, vibration seperation, only allowing so much elec. through. Now it's full bore. Odds are there are other weak connections also.

Seagrub

Cadet
Re: 89 force 85hp Green Trigger wire event

Yes that does make good sense, Thank you for your thoughts on it, I am going to check inspect and replace any questionable wiring on that motor...
best regards...and thank you.