69 Chrysler 55 HP

jmulz824

Seaman
I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket seal for the waterpump housing. The seal the drive shaft goes through. I ordered one from my local shop but was wondering if anyone knew of a napa # that may work for this application.

Its the press in seal that goes into the water pump housing.

Thanks.

jmulz824

Seaman
Re: 69 Chrysler 55 HP

Does anyone have a part number or any suggestions? I'm waiting to hear back from my local store, they say they have one ordered but not sure when or where it is at or an ETA.

I looked on iboats but unsure of the right one to buy.

fucawi

Banned

any bearing/ seal shop will have one ..quote the outer diameter and the shaft diameter as well as the thickness of the seal ..standard part you may even find a number on it

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This might get you closer..
Napa should be able to cross the Sierra part number. When I was looking they could cross it but I had to wait. Non stock item.
They dont list the seal kit for your 69 or my 70 but I used this one:

Sierra 18-2636

Replaces OEM part #

CHRYSLER FORCE 26-820645A1

Contains:
( 1 ) 18-0500 Seal, replaces O.E.# 26-817472
( 1 ) 18-0502 Seal, replaces O.E.# 26-819396
( 1 ) 18-0503 Seal, replaces O.E.# 26-F40307-2
( 2 ) 18-2945 Washer, replaces O.E.# 12-19183
( 1 ) 18-7116 O-Ring, replaces O.E.# 25-62704
( 1 ) 18-7134 O-Ring, replaces O.E.# 25-F40342
( 1 ) 18-7141 O-Ring, replaces O.E.# 25-25007
( 1 ) 18-7952 O-Ring, replaces O.E.# 25-88

jmulz824

Seaman

Thanks for the info buzz, I called napa and they have no idea when they could even get one.... great, I ordered one from boats.net and should be shipping out tomorrow per their info. Thanks!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm also assuming you have the 2 piece lower unit?

If you need the gasket for the gear case, I've found them online but not cheap. I made my own.
Went to carquest and bought a packet of gasket material. In the package was a glossy fibrous gasket.
Then basically used this youtube video to make the gasket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rx5hGKt1PY (but don't use paper bag)

jmulz824

Seaman

2 piece lower unit, the gasket is good no leaks and looks great, the entire motor from when i took it apart looks clean for the year. Really clean, impeller was brand new.. could see someone took care of it. Just going to set the points tomorrow and wait on my seals to get it all back together......

Wish me luck!

jmulz824

Seaman

Ok, got the seals, put the lower unit together, filled it with fluid, and went to check the points, however, my feeler gauge doesn't go that small, only .04, don't have an .02, crap.

I didn't adjust the points or anything seemed to run ok before, so I fire it up and runs, but kinda has a miss, and no water coming out. I didn't change the impeller, was brand new. So I drop the L/U again, to check the driveshaft pin, looked fine, switched out the 10 vane impeller for the new 6 vane I bought. Re-assembled, started, still a miss I think, in my mind, so I took a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPGie2pP18w

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks!

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have spark on both cylinders? It will run on just one. Adjust the carb 1-1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Fuel pump may be next (easy fix). Mine runs like this on one cylinder. Check compression, spark, adjust carb, timing, then test.

jmulz824

Seaman

Carb and fuel pump have both been rebuilt. Dark now and work at 5:30 am, not going to check anything until monday probably. Carb should be set right there at 1 and 1/4 - 1 and 1/2 out.

Thing ran better before I dropped the L/U ? doesn't make sense to me.......

fucawi

Banned

you cannot swop between 6 and 10 vane impellers get and fit the right one and make sure the tiny hole between shaft and water outlet is open ...length of pipe .loose over the outlet about 4 -6 in long hleps you align the water outlet...

jmulz824

Seaman

So I can't use the 6 vane which is the new style for this motor? ever thing I read said the 6 vane was fine to use and is the replacement for the old 10 vane style.

jmulz824

Seaman

Ok, so, have everything adjusted and took the boat to a local lake for a test. Fires up, idles good, I over corrected the shift adjustment but I can fix that pretty easily,

However, I seem to have 2 new problems.

New problem #1 seems to be RPM, while in a tub at my house and manually moving the throttle plate I get alot more RPM that when the control box is at WOT, I don't have a Tach (yet) anyone reccomend a good tach for a low price? My ear hears only about 3500 rpm, at WOT, I could be wrong but I have been around and worked with alot of motors, albeit not alot of boat motors. Has a stock prop on it, so I don't think its a prop issue. After I get a tach, I will get the RPM numbers factual.

Problem #2, ran great.....for a while, developed a bit of a miss, didn't seem to affect idle but anything but once on throttle from about 1/4 to all the way it was noticable, and it would lose some rpm and stumble a bit, but pick it back up and do it again, would do while at 1/4 throttle all the way up to WOT,

Fuel pump was rebuilt, the glass bowl is clean no stuff in it, clear inline fuel filter is clean, no particles
Carb was rebuilt and air/fuel is setup to factory 1 1/4 out,

Any suggestions on where to look and what would cause a miss after about 35-40 min of good solid running?

wickware

Lieutenant

Take a close look at your points again for any signs of oil, heat, pitting and changing the gap etc. OR! Something might be breaking down due to heat. What would that be, "from past experiences Chrysler magneto system and etc owners"??? Good Luck! jow

tater76

Condensors my friend are in my experience a huge issue with these 55's. I lost a total of 6 yes 6 in one season :facepalm:. This was due to two things, faulty cheap parts, and the condensors walking out of the clamps then getting hit by the flywheel. The latter can be fixed using a thin/small piece of rubber to line the clamp. Or you can epoxy it in place. Condensors will expand after the motor heats up, sometimes this movement is enough to cause old worn ones to short out/not work. They then cool down/shrink and work again. NAPA part # for these is FM200 $11-$13 bucks.

jmulz824

Seaman

Thanks tater, can I test them with a meter? Or being as they are pretty cheap, should they just be replaced?

tater76

I know the test question has been asked before, but I don't remember the answer :( However, this is a general maintenance part, so it should be replaced. If you wanted to spend the dough, get a tuneup kit consisting of new points and condensors. I suggest cleaning and gapping the points and getting a pair of new condensors.

jmulz824

Seaman

I have never been a fan of napa parts, my local store wanted 16$ a piece for the condensers, not outrageous, so I called my good buddy and O'Reilly, and he cross referenced the Napa part number to a Borg Warner part number,

FM200 -- Napa = FG3 -- Borg Warner in case anyone wants to know. Plus they are 6$ cheaper at O'Reilly

Going to order a new points set from boats.net and go from there, hopefully that corrects the issue at hand.

tater76

That's funny you say that, all 6 failed condensors I bought were from NAPA. Hmmm, you would think I would learn my lesson. Anyway, thanks for the part# heads up, that's awesome! Hope it works for you, and let us know how she does.

jmulz824

Seaman

Tater, you are a genius.... New condensors installed, thing runs like a top, would still like a little more RPM out of it, but it fires up and ran solid for the 4 1/2 hrs I took it our today.

Woot.

Got the shifter linkage better, will go into fwd and reverse better, but still needs a little fine tuning, but it's tolerable for now...

For once the wife was happy with work I accomplished.....:)