86 force 125 shifter/throttle control conflict

KCeagle

Cadet
help... after redoing the interior and reinstalling the shifter/throttle control in what i was certain was the same position as removed - apparently not - i can not find 'neutral' while giving it any gas to start. i can get it in neutral easy enough and the motor turns over but as soon as i pull the button on the shifter up to throttle it up in neutral, the shifter moves the linkage for the trans and the little 'in gear' sensor switch pops and kills the starter. ive also noticed the throttle linkage then becomes blocked by the little 'foot' preventing revving while in neutral. something is obviously out of sync. see attached pix might help. help please. control bk.jpglinkage cables.jpgon.off sensr.jpgshift.throt.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 force 125 shifter/throttle control conflict

I am not too familiar with that particular control box but I think you may have had the cables on backward. Pull out the button and rotate the control handle. The lever that does NOT rotate is the shift lever. The button disables the shift link in the control box so the engine may have timing and throttle advanced a little for cold starts and warm-up.

The "foot" is part of the neutral safety link and prevents the engine from revving too high in neutral. Usually there is a small gap of about 1/8 inch or less between the "foot" and "trans linkage" plate. If the idle speed stop screw on the tower is screwed in too far, it will rotate the tower and close the gap, just as yours is. The object is to obtain correct idle speed with the screw about halfwat in the cast bracket. Read the stickyFAQs synchronizing timing and carbs.

Your photos do not show the control cable ends at the engine. The throttle cable should have a large, stainless, spring-loaded quick-connect screwed on the end. It should be adjusted so that about 3/16 to 1/4 inch of the center spring-loaded section is pulled out in neutral. This allows the engine to shift before the throttle starts to move, even though the cable is moving. Clever. no?