91' Force 120hp i/o - starter won't engage..

Open Waters

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I'm new to boating and iboats. I've found a lot of useful tips over the past week of two.

My issue: I've recently purchased (month and half ago) a 91' Bayliner 2070 Bowrider w/ a Force 120hp LD i/o. I managed to work myself through setting the idle, fuel mix (rich, normal, lean), etc.. with the help of this site. Apparently, starting/idling problems are common for those who own force motors.

I've noticed that the past few times out it has got more and more difficult to start the engine. It got to the point (last time out) where I got nothing from the engine when I turned the key other than a click.

The next day, after being towed to the dock in the dark, I replaced the battery and changed the fuel filter. I took the boat back to the water to test and nothing, just the "click". After removing the back board and viewing the engine while cranking, I see that the "click" is the solenoid being engaged by the "solenoid plug" I believe.

Would this be a bad solenoid or bad starter? Please help! Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

If someone has a picture of this motor's solenoid, please post. Just trying to make sure that what I'm looking at is what I'm looking at.

Open Water

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91' Force 120hp i/o - starter won't engage..

starter solenoid.jpg

Bridge the gap between the battery terminal and the starter terminal using a jumper cable or similar.

If the starter doesn't engage, its the starter.

If the starter works, it is the solenoid.

If you are hearing a click, I suspect the solenoid is working.

Jiggz

Captain

Roscoe said it right! It's most likely the starter since you are hearing a "click". Now if you can just manually turn the starter and try again it might work. Sometimes what happens is that a starter develops a bad spot which renders it dead. By manually turning it, it can start again until you hit that bad spot again. Eventually, the starter will have multiple bad spots and dies. Do what Roscoe suggested and then start ordering a new starter. However, if the starter engages and turns after following roscoe's suggestions, it could be the solenoid also being bad in the sense that it could have melted it's main contact points. That even though it's engaging it's not really closing the circuits.

Open Waters

Seaman Apprentice

Roscoe and Jiggz: Thanks for the tips. I'll definitly give them a try.

By the way Jiggs, I called a buddy of mine shortly after posting my original message and he also suggested manuallly turning the starter. Took the advise and headed to the water. Turned the starter manually, turned the key and got the "click" with some slow/short cranks but didn't turn over.

Roscoe and Jiggz, would this change any of your advise?

Open Water

fucawi

Banned

Advice is 100% ...... if you are a tight arrse you can pull the solenoid apart and re build it ...terminals might be corroded /worn ..drill out the rivits and in you go ....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I am leaning toward starter, but you need to test first.

You could remove the starter, open it up, clean it up, re-assemble. Might get another year or 2 out of it, or it might leave you stranded next week.

fucawi

Banned

Test dont guess ...how long does it take to join two bolts with a spanner?

Jiggz

Captain

It's likely the starter although you still need to do the test Roscoe suggested. This will confirm everything. You're down to two highly faulty components and to test either is easy as jumping a battery straight to the starter. If the starter does the same after the jumper test, it's definitely the starter. And yes, it's better to buy a new one.

Open Waters

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all. Will do.

Open Waters

Open Waters

Seaman Apprentice

Aparently the starter solinoid is not the easiest to access. Definitly have some busted nuckles. I do know about process of elimination (what nuts and bolts anchor this to that). Even still.

I see the starter solinoid (as in your picture Roscoe)but it is at the bottom of a wire pit. This will definitly take some time.

Open Waters