Did I get the wrong part for fill, vent, and drain plug on 85hp Force?

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am wanting to check my lower unit oil. I went to a local mercury boat shop and told them what I needed but I am not sure if he gave me the right part. When I took the drain plug out there was a white washer on the screw that was very difficult to get off. The part that I bought does not look like what came off of the drain plug, it is blue and does not fit as snug to the screw as what I took off, it also says seal on the package instead of washer. Basically the new seal is loose around the screw. The part number on the package is quicksilver 12-19183, when I go to the internet and search it just says it is for Mecury. I have 1989 Force 85HP and the serial is 856X9G. Could anybody help me out with this, I want to make sure I have the right part?

Also, I was able to get the fill plug screw off but am not able to get the drain plug screw off. I tryed tapping the screw driver with hammer but this still did not work. Any suggestions on this.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Did I get the wrong part for fill, vent, and drain plug on 85hp Force?

Tach and stuff 004.jpgTach and stuff 003.jpgThe drain plug is a small allenhead socket screw.On the bottom of the drive.
Don't remove the screw in the little hole on the side of the drive.See pics,
The white washer on the VENT/FILL screw can be replaced with the blue/black fiber washers(loose fiting)

PLEASE DON"T REMOVE THE SCREW ON THE SIDE OF THE DRIVE IT WILL CAUSE A BIGGGGGGG PROBLEM.
THE DRIVE WILL NEED TO BE TAKEN APART.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Force used three different drain plugs depending upon year, One looks just like the fill and vent. One is an allen head set scres like Jerry showed in the photo, and one was a slotted head stainless pipe plug same as the plug in the head. 1/8 or 1/4 NPT--I forget which it is. Buy or borrow an impact screwdriver. Sometimes this is the only way to get the plug to break free.

The colored washer will seal well enough It does not matter if there is a bit of play.

BUt you have me confused! First you say the washer does not fit your drain plug and later you say you could not remove the drain plug. What did you remove to drain the oil? Did you mean you could not remove the VENT plug?

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the confusion I only removed the fill screw. Thank you Jerry for the warning and picture!!! Luckily, I read a post somewhere in this forum where someone had removed the screw on this side and had to take lower unit in to have it put back in. I am glad I read it because I may have done the same thing. My unit does not have the allen style head but one that is slotted for flat head screwdriver. Are you talking about an electric impact driver or the type that is manual? I had someone suggest this and what I saw on line for some local stores have a couple of different kinds, one was electric and looks like a drill, one was an air impact driver and the other was one that you do by hand. Since I am a women I really do have a hard time with getting both screws and bolts loose on a lot of things, so this may be something that comes in handy for me.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The hand one.But your gonna have trouble with that too.
Get the BIGGEST screwie driver from SEARS Get Craftsman.
Guaranteed for ever.
Make sure the plug isin't too screwed up(sorry) Then use a small cresent or a wrench that will fit the screwdriver.Then turn it holding the driver in as good as you can get.
Maybe ask a bigger girl(womens lib) or a guy to do that part.
When you put it back together it doesn't have to be that tight.Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Karla.

First, the two plugs are Vent (top) and Drain/Fill (bottom). The correct procedure is to remove both, allow oil to drain from the drain/fill hole, then fill from the bottom hole until oil starts to overflow from the vent hole. Replace the vent plug. Airlock will keep the oil from draining out the drain/fill hole until you replace that plug.

Second, those are not washers under the plugs. They are crush gaskets that are used once only. Reusing them causes water intrusion into the gearcase or overtightening so they are very hard to remove, or both. Reinstalling the plugs is: finger tight plus 1/4 turn to seal, just like a spark plug.

Good luck. :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some Forces come with a VENT and FILL above the cavitation plate.The have a drain too.
Remove all three and let it drain.Some come with 2 one on top and one on the bottom.
If you have the V/F holes:fill it from there untill it comes out the vent.Then I fill from the vent till it comes out the fill and then onece again from the fill.That way you will insure there is enough oil.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I got the screw off with a big screwdriver and crescent wrench. Impact driver did not work for me but I think it is good to have one of these handy anyway. Do not worry about the womens lib thing with me Jerry, stuff like that does not bother me. The first part of the oil came out looking milky i think not sure I took picture with oil in jar, to see if anybody can tell me what they think?

Also, I took a picture (2nd photo) of what looks like a small crack right where the lower case connects to the upper leg, you will notice in the picture that it looks like it is leaking all around this area where connects. Then I took picture to show where it looks like oil has been leaking from the weep holes under cavitation plate. Oil was also leaking from the fill screw. I need to know if I should fill the lower unit with fresh oil until I can get money to have mechanic look at or can I leave it empty(tempartures where I live right now are above 100 everyday and 107 many days) this week is supposed to be really bad with temps 107 and above).

398096615.jpg

398096617.jpg

398096616.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Never leave it empty!!!Even wattery oil is better than leaving it empty.
Fill it and use it.After replacing the screw gaskets it might not take anymore water in.
Check it after you use it.Then have someone pressure test it.Always check the oil every few times out.You never know when a seal can go.They are 20 yrs old.
Center pic:no oil in that area.Bottom: could be gas/oil or unburned gas/oil leaking down.
#1 pic:some water not much but enough to worry about..

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jerry, in the second picture I smelled the oil coming from here and it did not smell like gas, to me it smelled like the lower unit gear oil but I am going to check it out again. Thinking back to when I first got this boat the man I was dating at the time drained the oil and then filled, I know for sure he did not put new gaskets on screws. I also had to have the impeller changed when I first got it (two summers ago) and a mechanic did this but I do not know if he put any new seals in when he did this,.

I will definetly fill it up with oil again and put the new gaskets on screws. I am not going to be able to take it out for right now, so if I run it on the muffs will this help me to test and see if water is getting in the case or does it need to be run on the lake? What tool is need to test the pressure? My car mechanic may have something that he would let me borrow and bring back. Hopefully the water came from the screw gaskets being old.

I also now have a new concern after reading through manual. I dropped the little lock washer from the choke solenoid and when I tryed to get it, it went under another part in the bottom of the engine cowling. The manual says there should not be any free moving metal parts from broken screws, nuts etc. It said it can cause damage. Should I try and get it out?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your local mech might have a tester.If not ,remove the drive and get a spray bottle with soap/water. REmove the oil and prop and waterpump and use an air nozzle to put a small amount of air in the bottom fitting.Spray some soap on all the seals If it's leaking it will make bubbles at the leak.
Don't worry about the washer.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay, what is procedure for testing pressure in lower unit? I asked my car mechanic and he was not sure what I would need, he said he has all kinds of pressure testers with different fittings. The reason I want to try and pressure test it myself is because this is something I would like to know how to do, it seems like a good thing to check periodically. I would like to do this before I start opening up the lower unit.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

You can also use teflon tape on the vent fill and drain screws for added security. It will not damage the lower unit.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I do have a electric air pump unfortunately the fitting would not work, dang! I finally found the section in the manual about pressure testing. It says to remove vent plug and put tester there to pump air in, along with more instructions. Looks like I will not be using a leak tester. If i can find somehting with correct fitting I think I would just submerge the case in water to see if there is a leak after putting 10 psi in the vent hole or do Jerry's method. Question if I do test where I submerge in water, do I leave the oil in or drain the oil before the test?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Go to the boat section.Buy a lube pump for pumping oil in the lower.That fitting will work on your small pump.Just might need to be creative with a couple of fittings.
TOO MUCH PRESSURE will blow the seals so be GENTLE.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well luckily I have one of the lube pumps. I know exactly who I can get to help me come up with something. Oddly enough his name is Jerry, he is pretty creative and can fix things that you would not think he could. So now anytime we cut corners to fix something we call it 'Jerry rigging" LOL. Okay so what about the question of leaving oil in or draining it before I put the air in?

Also I bought Mercury High Performance Gear Lube to refill lower unit oil. Is this oil better quality than Walmart brand? The oil I drained out was from Walmart and I decided to not go with Walmart brand.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Drain to test.Oil is thick and will seal any leaks under pressure.
And yes use the best you can afford.
Just make sure that you fill it right.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my unit has Drain plug very bottom, Vent plug and fill plug at the top. So I am assuming that I fill it at the fill plug at top instead of filling from the bottom and to fill until it comes out the vent plug. Let it sit and then recheck later and fill more if needed. I originallly go a little confused becausee alot of information says to fill from the drain plug and warnings not to fill from the top but when I read the manual that came with boat it said to fill from the top fill plug.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am going to have to scratch the idea of using my portable electric air pump, the gauge does not work on it so I do not want to take any risks. I just put the new oil in and am going to see how it does for now. Also, the fitting on my pump did not fit exactly and was loose. So I guess I will look for another one that fits my plugs but not sure what size a fitting I need. If anybody knows let me know. 1989 force 85hp

I am trying to get up the nerve to remove lower case to do the other recommended test by Jerry. I know everybody says it so easy I just do not want to get stuck somewhere during the process and not know what to do. I also have to figure out what tools I will need.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Just regular wrenches to remove the drive.Allen wrenchs and a pair of needle nose pliers.
The drive is heavy and can be tricky to reinstall.So when it's out for testing change the impeller.When you do that start another thread and I'll give you a few hints of things to do when it's off.
The lube kits they sell at wally world will(some of them look around) will have a metal fitting that screws into the threads.They also have an adaptor for jap motors(smaller).
Look around to find the metal one.The plastic goes bad quick.It only takes a small amount of air.
Fill from the fill. Then move to the vent and fill there till it come out the fill and then do the fill again.
Most outboards and a lot of sterndrives(except Cobra and some Volvos)fill from the bottom.
Some Forces do yours doesn't.
Just keep the oil fresh and check it after every use until your sure the leak is fixed or gone.J