need help cant adjust carbs correctly. 1988, 85 hp force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabric8r

Cadet
I just rebuilt my carbs. got them all back on. and am having trouble setting the throtle positions. either it seems like i can get the low idle right, and then at WOT the carbs arnt opening far enough. or vis versa. it also seems like when i return the trotle to nutral i can push back on the linkage that has the idle adjusting scew and runs all the way up to the timing. just seems like its not returning all the way back to seat?
any information would be greatly appreciated. I might just need to take it in.
Thanks, Scott

Fabric8r

Cadet
Re: need help cant adjust carbs correctly. 1988, 85 hp force

also wondering how to set timing. im confused. the book says to set the timing at 32. what dos 32 mean. there are 3 marks close together on the flywheel and 1 farther from them. im guessing 32 means 32 degrees. but how do you read or set that by un marked marks on the flywheel?
What is the part that turnes under the flywheel around the stater? it moves with the carb throttle linkage. havent seen this on other kinds of motors?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That's the trigger or timer base.It advances the timing as you accelerate.
Top of the Force section is 2 threads:eek:pen them and find the one from FrankA called linc and sinc.
Do that first after a Compression/spark test.
Profile?You might live close to someone who can help.
Throttle not returning to the rear.That's a cable adjustment.
left is 32 mid 30 right is 28.
Do static timing first then worry about the high speed timing.After it's running right.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had the same problem/// I couldnt get it to either idle correctly or have full throttle with the blades 98% horizontal... I personally ended up filing the cam that the rollers rests against to get my idle while maintaining my wot worked great.. Filed it so that the advance curve was still there just not at idle. and was still able to use the idle screw to set final idle

Fabric8r

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. i did find that sticky yesterday. Its was GREAT help. my timming was off, thats what was holding i guess what is called the timming tower open. after i got timming set. the full throttle and idle were close and all i had to do was adjust idle screw. This forum is Great. Thanks for all the help. im gonna post more of what i did when i get some time this weekend,

jhickison89

Recruit
Does anyone know the factory setting on the floa adjustment for a 1987 85hp force outboard?. First i have low speed and no high. Then i have high but no low idle without bogging

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone know the factory setting on the floa adjustment for a 1987 85hp force outboard?. First i have low speed and no high. Then i have high but no low idle without bogging

No, but if you start a new thread it's possible some one does. This thread has been inactive for 5 years.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.