1988 15 hp gamefisher/ force- wont run

bigdog0u81

Cadet
I picked up a 1988 gamefisher-force motor and am have soem trouble getting it to run. It has spark in both cyl. It will back fire. What could be the cause of back fire and not running. Pulled carb and looks clean. Shot starting fluid in it and still nothing.
gamefisher.jpg
gamefisher2.jpg
gamefisher3.jpg

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 15 hp gamefisher/ force- wont run

Bad spark. Low compression. Not getting enough fuel. Over primming and
flooding motor. I have a 15 hp gamefisher also and if I over primmed then it would
not run. If you have a primer bulb? Only pump it to firm and don't over pump. Also the little primmer on the back of motor only needs 1-2 pumps at most. Any more and it will flood. Got blisters finding that one out.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

I did find this morning the primer to the carbon the inside was like fillled with a gritty substance. I don't know what the prime looks like is it possible the inside ball crumbled? I took it apart and there is only a white piece. Does anyone know what its susposed to look like. As for the bad spark we pulled both plugs and both were firing pretty good.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

Ok got it to run the coil wires were going to the wrong plug and the carb needed cleaned once again. Now it will run out of water but not in the water. We had the boat on the ramp started it and backed it in the water and it dies as soon as its in the water. Is it a compression issue? I read somewhere about the exhaust manifold might be cracked would that cause this problem?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Yes because it will throw it out of time. If it is leaking the remove the top cowl cover while in the
Water. You can put that little motor in a barrel or aluminum can and run it. Just make sure the
Impeller is getting water before you start it.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

What should I be looking for with the cowl off?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Ok you would be looking for where the exhaust leak is coming from. Also if it does have an
exhaust leak then taking the cover off will allow the motor to get the oxygen it needs to run
right then you can either run it with the cover off or fix the leak. Shouldn't have to mess with the
Timing though because the leak only throws it off from not having the right back pressure. Oh and try to avoid getting anything electrical wet if you can.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

It wont run with the cover off either and nothing is leaking that I can see. But again it wont start or run in the water period.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

Does anyone know what the compression should be?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

somewhere above 100 and it should run.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

ok thanks Ill be checking it out this weekend I think its going to be under that. i can turn the flywheel with very little resistance.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Ok if it still will not run with the cover off then that eliminates an exauast leak and timing issue at that point. Do a compression test and post what you get, and also have you tried to turn up the idle a bit and then see if it runs in the water. I had to turn mine up and it made a huge difference
in the idle.?

bigdog0u81

Cadet

Ok did comp. check today top cyl-110 bottom -0. Ring bad or piston?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Ok before you pull the head gasket, go to boats.net and check for head gasket and exhaust gasket. You may as well check the exhaust gasket while your checking head gasket. While you have the head off then you should be able to inspect pistons piston walls and rings for damage. These little motors take about 10-20 sec. To over heat so if the motor has been running to long while overheating then head gasket and exhaust gasket can be damaged very easily. Hope you get it running cause well if its anything like mine then you will be pleased with its performance.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

One other little detail. Never run motor without water supply to the impeller. Use a set of muffs or start it in a barrel. An aluminum can works great with that motor. You will destroy your impeller, impeller housing as well as overheat your little motor.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

Ok thanks man will do. I hope its nothing too serious. It runs ok and don't sound bad as it is. And my friend has a 9.9 gamjefisher around the same yr with a 15 HP carb and it pushes his boat pretty good that's the reason I bought this one hope to get the same if not better results ony boat. And yeah we have the muffs on it when we start it. Just the time at the river when it wouldn't run in the water he started it on the ramp and I backed it into the water maybe 5 seconds tops it ran before hitting the water and shutting off.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Well when you put it in the water there is alot of back pressure or load at the exhaust so that's why with the low compression on that cylinder it doesn't want to run or stay running. Hope you get the bugs worked out. Let us know what you find out. By the way, did you use the screw in type compression tester or the type with rubber end. Screw in type works best.

bigdog0u81

Cadet

We used the screw in type we check it a couple times and came up with the same result every time.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Well check the other things out and then post your findings. Good luck.