1988 force 85 hp throttle control box

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
:facepalm: Took my boat out after fixing the fuel pump diaphram and my throttle control box which was on its was out decided to snap. it says std omc and merc on the back. US marine decal on the front. No trim or ignition on the box. Pull out away from gunwale to engage full neutral. Its off a 1988 force outboard 85hp ona 1989 maxum 16'8 bowrider, Local marinas are quoting me at around 500$ does anyone know where i can find a aftermarket/ used one cheaper or even a different brand that would work? Ive seen the "universal" ones on this site but im not sure if theyd work. Can post some pics of it if nessicary.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 force 85 hp throttle control box

Doesn't that price make you feel like you are passing a beer can wrapped in barbed wire? Outrageous!

Look on the auctions for a control box from any Chrysler or Force (US Marine.) You can use surface mount or hidden. They all use the same cables.

I suppose "universal" control boxes would work if they are set up to use standard Teleflex cables

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 force 85 hp throttle control box

Like a whole barbed wire 6pac. Ive been checking the auctions and craigslist but theyre all around 100-150 dollars for basic old use us marine boxes, id really like to find a universal one with the pull out to engage full neutral iboats has them starting at 199 ill be ordering one wensday tho as my cousins 80hp merc started knocking nd we are down to 0 boats :eek: