Chrysler 907hb 90 hp carb question

paramedic2555

Recruit
Ok, Im new to this. And this question might be complete idiotic. On my 1975 Chrysler that im trying to get running, it runs pretty descent on the top two cylinders. But the bottom is non functioning. At idle or under load i remove the bottom spark plug wire and there is no change in how it runs. Unlike when i remove the top two spark wires, one at a time of course. Im getting fire at the plug wire. So what is the issue?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 907hb 90 hp carb question

Check compression on all three, check reeds on the bottom cylinder (behind the carb), and get back.

paramedic2555

Recruit

Compression is 140 top and bottom cylinder at full throttle as instructed in the manual. Middle cylinder is 132 to 135. I am mechanically illiterate, but I will get back about the reed.

paramedic2555

Recruit

Would that carburetor have anything to do with this problem?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sure! If it is clogged and not delivering gas, you won't get power from the bottom cylinder. You do need to check the plug to see if it is wet. If it is dry, that's a sure sign of lack of fuel.

paramedic2555

Recruit

ok. Found out the bottom carb fuel line was clogged. She is hitting on all cylinders. Took her out and she runs alot better. But at full throttle she will run for awhile but then bog out and stop. She will fire up and run but do the same thing. Ideas? Fuel pump? Its a constant struggle with an old boat and motor. Found a new problem while I was out. Tilt and trim doesnt have enough pressure to tilt as boat is moving, rebuild on that is probably in order for that.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Tilt and trim was never designed to tilt under loat. While trim will work at all speeds, tilt will only raise engine at very low speeds around 1500 RPM MAX.

Try replacing the gasket and diaphragm in the fuel pump. It is an easy and cheap job. If that doesn't do it, then check fuel system from tank strainer right to carbs

paramedic2555

Recruit

Ok. Here is the latest. Redone fuel line from tank to motor. Replaced fuel pump diaphragm and all gaskets. Adjusted floats in carbs during rebuild per motor manual. Now I am getting an overload of fuel at the carbs and the motor wont start. I guess it is flooding out. Do i need to adjust the carb floats? Ideas?

Nordin

Commander
DO NOT hijack threads. Read the rules at Forum.
This thread is 3 years old. Start your own thread and I am pretty sure you will have response very soon.