CDI box for 1987 Force 125 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay603

Cadet
I have encountered a dead end in trying to locate a CDI box for a 1987 Force 125 engine. I have ordered two - one from e-Bay and one from another supplier. Both were listed as the proper replacement for the original CDI box but my mechanic said that neither one would fit. He also had ordered one (turned out to be the same one that I ordered from CDI Electronics). Can anyone help me find the correct CDI for the engine?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: CDI box for 1987 Force 125 Engine

Welcome to iboats clay.

It would be nice to know what the part numbers of the wrong ones are, so we don't recommend the wrong one again.

Why does the mechanic say they won't work?

I'm guessing your originals were the black ones.

You can switch over to the blue ones.

I only have experience with switching over to the all blue cd's and coils.

Some people say you can swap out just one cd module, but I hear the opposite from other people.

What part numbers are the wrong on according to your mechanic?

You can still by the original factory cd's from any Mercury dealer, for ---GULP--- $500 a piece

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=334618&gd_row=44&**********=088697220

??????

clay603

Cadet

The part number for the one supposed to fit the engine is 116-3301 and is supposed to replace 475301-1 and 300F475301-1. I am looking at the unit on one site, but the actual part that it shows is 116-5301. The real problem with this is that there are no instructions for making the conversion from the original part to the new replacement part.

mikeinmo

Recruit

Go to CDI Electronics website. Find the part you have, and click on install sheet.

clay603

Cadet

Go to CDI Electronics website. Find the part you have, and click on install sheet.

I have tried that and even gave the sheet for the 116-3301 to my mechanic, but he said that the instructions did not match the connections in the engine. I am beginning to suspect that someone made some modifications to the ignition system before I purchased the boat. Thanks!

archeryaddict23

Recruit
i also have a 125 that one of the cdi boxes died on. I got two of the blue ones that work, can I use them on the motor that had the original black cdi boxes?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i also have a 125 that one of the cdi boxes died on. I got two of the blue ones that work, can I use them on the motor that had the original black cdi boxes?

Please start your own thread as this one is 8 years old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.