Chrysler '68 55hp lower unit leak

sethl23

Cadet
Just signed up here and excited to get help from the experts! I have a '68 Chrysler 55hp that has been sitting for awhile. It is very clean and didn?t take much to get her running again! However, I just put oil in the lower unit (completely dry) and it is leaking out of the gasket between the very bottom and middle portion (sorry about the lack of proper terminology). I understand this is a two piece unit, so is there anyway to only remove the very bottom to replace the bad gasket? Thank you for any help with this!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler '68 55hp lower unit leak

Unfortunately, NO! You must drop the whole lower unit. Remove the shift rod then you must pull out the prop shaft bearing carrier and loosen the nut behind it. you then loosen the nut on the front stud and pull off the gearcase.

You can make a gasket, buy one at franzmarine@aol.com, or even buy one for an early Force 50 here at iboats.

sethl23

Cadet

Thanks! WOW, ok, what would be a good material to make a gasket? Do I also use some sort of gasket sealer with it?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have made a gasket out of a white plastic food cup--like potato salad containers. However, the stock gasket is special . The thickness sets the gear lash of the lower unit so if you get it too thick you are asking for premature gear wear. Unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing, spend the 3-5 bucks and buy a gasket. I always put them on dry, but a little Permatex could not hurt. Little as in not squooshing out all over the place, just enough to quarantee the seal.

sethl23

Cadet

I just broke off the lower part of the shift rod trying to free it. Franzmarine for the part?