1969 Chrysler 55hp float and fuel bowl question.

bvsteamer

Cadet
This builds on a previous post with this motor that misses after about an hour. I've sorted out eh electrical, and now have a couple fuel questions. I rebuilt the card (mostly gaskets and needle/seat). I adjusted the float per instructions, but when starting it up I had to apply some throttle to get it to idle. I adjusted the idle screw to fix, but would this be caused by a mis-adjusted float? Secondly, the glass fuel bowl leaks when you pressurize the system with the primer bulb. It has a new gasket, is this normal? I just replaced the bulb because it gets soft after start up and fuel barely dribbles into the fuel filter. The engine no longer misses when run in a can (2 and 1/2 hours), hopefully a real world test will prove to be the same.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1969 Chrysler 55hp float and fuel bowl question.

If you pump the primer bulb and you have gas leaking out the glass bowl.. You have a bad seal. There should be a screen in there. Make sure that isn't preventing the seal..

I had to buy a small sheet of cork to get mine to seal.
If it leaks gas, it can suck air in.. This could also cause a stumble.

The missing, you have to find if it's electrical or fuel/air. Get a timing light. On your next outing, when it starts to miss, put the light on the plug wires and see if you are missing a spark intermittenly. If you are, then it's probably a condensor. If not, then we need to look more into a air/fuel issue.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Does Magnapower ignition have condensors?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To my knowledge no..
Then I'm at a loss, Not too familiar with magnapower.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Any other ideas as to what fuel related issues cause a miss? At first it would only run 10 minutes (discovered water in the fuel). Rebuilt the fuel pump and cleaned the tank....ran for an hour before missing, but at least it would restart. Rebuilt the carb, replaced all the fuel lines and primer bulb. Ran for 2 and 1/2 hours in a can in neutral....no missing or stall. Just wondering if I've covered the fuel possibilities.....still have the leaking fuel pump bowl to fix.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When it starts to miss. Does it stay a steady miss? Or is it intermittent? Can you clear the miss out by giving some throttle?

The fuel systems on these outboard are simple, so there's not too much to them.
If the float is adjusted correctly, and the mixture screw is adjusted correctly then the only other thing I can think of is it's sucking in too much air from somewhere. Like a hose clamp or seal.

To be absolutely sure, when it does this missing, you need to put on a timing light that simply clips over the plug wire. If you see the miss in the light, then it's not a fuel issue.

Now the other issue I can think that might be causing the miss is the idle for that time period in a can.. Could be dumping too much fuel in fouling the plug a bit. But then that would come back to a air/fuel mix, or idle rpm speed.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Okay. I'll get a hold of a timing light. When I was on the lake and it started missing after an hour, if you gave it a lot of throttle it would stop missing, but then go back to it after a few minutes. Since then I've replaced the primer bulb and all the fuel line, and it was missing 2 clamps.

Not sure on the float. After rebuilding the carb (only gaskets and needle/seat - didn't touch any of the screws) it wouldn't idle unless I gave it some throttle. I ended up adjusting the idle screw a bit to compensate. Not sure if that was a float adjustment issue.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The float adjustment isn't too critical. To adjust the float, you're just bending the tab on the end fo the float. I've usually tipped the carb upside down and put the needle and seat like it's suppose to be along with the float. Whild upside down, it should be level to a "smidge" away from the carb. This will allow the bowl to get full but not over fill and flood out.

When I 1st got my 55hp (not knowing anything about outboards, (But have extensive knowledge in automotive)) I ran my outboard on one cylinder for 3 outings. Had no idea on how much it should buck, die and/or how powerful it should be. Got her dialed in now.. Fires up and runs smooth.

Mine too every once in awhile it will buck and mis a beat but not a constant mis.