55 hp Chrysler misses after extended use

bvsteamer

Cadet
I have a 1969 Chrysler 55 hp outboard, serial # 5519. It sat about a year until I could refinish the old Ebbtide I bought it with. First time out it ran fine for ten minutes then began missing, and then died. It would not restart. Turns out I had water in the fuel....quite a bit, I could see it in the fuel pump glass bowl. I drained the aluminum tank, cleaned the best I could, rebuilt the fuel pump, and replaced all the fuel lines and filter. Took it out again the other day, started and ran fine, for the first hour. Then it it started to miss again, not as bad, but ultimately it would die. The difference is it would restart immediately, but start to miss again. If I revved it out of gear, or would run it hard in gear, the miss would clear itself out for a couple of minutes, but then return. Any ideas? I'm also trying to figure out how to determine what ignition system is on this engine. It has two coils mounted on the outside of the block, and what looks like a module as well.

Bob

fucawi

Banned
Re: 55 hp Chrysler misses after extended use

depends on the colour of the coils ...blue is battery igniton and black is CDI dont know why its missing after 10 min maybe some water still in it ..why not try a small portable tank to see if it still does it.

bvsteamer

Cadet

The coils are black. I didn't think the 1969's had this type of ignition. I was wondering what the correct spark plugs would be, the marine store sold me gapless plugs. I'm about to try a different tank, although I see no water in the glass bowl like I did earlier. I thought maybe a carb rebuild might be wise as well.

Bob

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 1970 55hp.

Napa sold me the gapless plugs.. Pulled them out in the middle of the river and put my old ones back in. Made my engine run like crap.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Any idea what the correct part number for plugs are? When I try to look it up it asks what type of ignition I have, and I am not sure how to tell the difference.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Under your flywheel.... Does it look like this?
If so, then you have a magneto style ignition.
MMS95Resized95Pix.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

try replacing the condensers under the flywheel. Typically a bad condenser will function until it heats-up then short out. Cool it down and the engine will start and run for a bit until the condenser heats-up again.

There were a number of ignition systems on these engines: magna-Power II, Magneto, straight battery ignition with points (two black coils mounted on the side of the block), and some type of electronic ignition (which I don't have experience with. The electronic would have a module with a number of wires coming out of it. A rectifier will be black and mounted usually right above the coils. It will only have 4 or possibly 5 wires attached. two from the alternator, one to ground, one to positive (red) and possibly a purple.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Never had the flywheel off......it does have two black coils mounted to the engine block though, with plug wires going to the spark plugs.

bvsteamer

Cadet

I can try that, was hoping to not remove the flywheel. It's just odd that it ran perfectly for over an hour before it started having problems. Also, when starting it the next day, it would miss a bit and then run fine. Seems very similar to the previous contaminated fuel problem I had, just not as bad.

Nordin

Commander

In 1969 Chrysler 55Hp had three different ign.system, magneto (coils, points and condensers under the flywheel), battery (coils outside the block, points and condensers under the flywheel) and MagnaPower (the one I think you have). MagnaPower had a silver colored CDI box on the block and the coils also on the block but just beside the cylinderhead. It had points under the flywheel but no condensers (condensers inside the CDI box). Check the points 015 gap, coils about 0,3 ohm primery side and about 550 ohm secondary side. Plugs surf gap typ, check all wires for good connections and good ground. This ign.system need 12V power supply to run well.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Is there anything to check inside the CDI box? Could you give a explanation of how to check the coils? Does running well for an hour, then missing sound probable? Previous issue was water in the fuel.....thought I solved that, but this is new. Could it be carb related?

Thanks.......really would like to use the boat.....it's been a year.

bvsteamer

Cadet

One more thing.....all the wires on the wire block on the motor are hooked up except the purple marked "gen". Where does that get connected?

fucawi

Banned

Well mine has battery coil igniton with two blue coils (original) with 3.4 ohm primaries ...coils also distinguished with flats and rings on the coils see manual

Nordin

Commander

Well to check the coils you must have a ohnmeter and measure primeside (the two small wires on the coils) one is gray and the other is white/black.
Measure to ground and would be 0,3-1,0 ohm. The secondaryside you measure the plugwire to ground and that would be 500-600 ohm. It sounds you have a temprelated problem. I guess that it is related to the ignition so as I said before check points, coils. Best is to connect a timinglight to the plugs and check if it lose spark. The purplewire is for indicationlamp that the generator charge the battery. It is connected to the terminalblock and to one AC terminal at the rectifier.

fucawi

Banned

No no nordin ....with at least one of the wires off the coil ..mesure across the two small bolts that are the primary connections ...3.4 ohm or there abouts is a battery igniton and about 0.3 ohms a CDI.
The secondary will be hundreds for the CDI and thousands for the Battery ignition.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Thanks guys, I will try to measure the coils next. Should there be a indicator lamp somewhere on the dash or controls hooked to the purple wire? Just trying to make sure everything is hooked up and working correctly. I have a red warning lamp on the control hooked to the temperature warning circuit. I'll let you know what I find on the coils.

bvsteamer

Cadet

OK, upper coil primary side is .4 to .5 ohms and secondary is 573 to 625 ohms. Lower coil primary is .5 ohms and secondary is 540 to 560 ohms. Guess i need to run it and after it begins to miss check again, right?

Nordin

Commander

Fucawi of course one wire must be disconnected if the points is closed but this guy have CDI and it is 0,3-1,0 ohm primery and about 500-600 ohm secondary. I have 2 of this engines so I know. I have worked with this things. And you have to measure to ground so you know you have a good ground. The CDI will not work without a good ground.
bvsteamer your measurement sounds good check when it starts to miss.

bvsteamer

Cadet

Okay. Some additional info. Originally I had water contamination so I cleaned the tank, disposed of the fuel. I replaced the fuel lines from the bulb exit to the fuel pump. I rebuilt the fuel pump. I just finished rebuilding the carb today and went to start the motor. I had to adjust the idle to get it to start, as if the rebuild affected the idle some how. Really all I did was replace gaskets and the needle/seat, I did not touch any of the the settings (can the float adjustment cause this?. I notice now that it's running (45 minutes so far) that the primer bulb is soft and hardly any fuel is in the fuel filter after it runs a bit. Also, the glass bowl under the fuel pump seems to have a small leak (probably because the position of the cable bracket interferes with the nut that holds the bowl in). Could this be contributing to my miss?

bvsteamer

Cadet

Ran for two and a half hours - no miss. It was in a can, and not under load, but it ran fine. I did remove all the nuts/wires/terminals from the coils and sand/clean them....maybe it helped. Readings after running and getting it up to temp were the same for the coils. Still can't stop the glass bowl under the fuel pump from leaking when pressurized...it's a new gasket. Going to replace the primer bulb tomorrow. Any further ideas?