Force 40 hp 1999 Issues

BradU20

Recruit
I've been reading through the archives, and there seems to be a wealth of Force knowledge here.
Hope you guys can help me out.

Motor runs flawlessly at any speed but idle.

Problem - motor eventually stalls out after idling for 1-2 mins (not a fun way to troll :mad:)
- starts right back up
- sometimes the fuel bulb has to be pumped to get it to start back up

I've checked/replaced everything outside the motor related to the fuel system.
I am planning to put a new fuel filter in it.

While checking out the entire fuel system, I discovered I could force fuel out of the fuel bowl of the carb by pumping the bulb (where the fuel bowl meets the body of the carb). I assume a carb rebuild is in order. Little nervous, I have never tried to do one myself.

Any thoughts or words of encouragement for me???

jlyalls

Cadet
Re: Force 40 hp 1999 Issues

Same thing happens to my motor. I asked on guy and he said that these boats were known for that. I also noticed the other day that the piece going into the carborator was leaking some. Perhaps this is a design flaw. Let me know if you have found the solution.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What's the idle set at?? Needs to be a minimum of 750 for correct operation.Any water in the fuel?After cleaning and making sure the float is set right.
The airscrew needs to be set at 1 and 1/16 turns out(base setting)
Then when the idles set at 750-800 warm and in gear.Turn the air screw in till it just coughs,bucks,stutters or stalls.Then out 1/2 turn.
Re-check the idle and do it again.G

Jiggz

Captain

Is idling a problem both on muffs and on water? What is idling speed when in gear? How about when not in gear? Follow Jerry's recommendation or better yet read through the sticky post about setting idle. As for cleaning the carb, start with the simple ones like cleaning the bowl, floats and needle and needle port first. I usually don't even disassemble the float and needles instead I just spray it with carb cleaner or even brake cleaner to rid of the gummy build up. Spray the main jets. Remove the idle air-fuel mixture screw and spray the port the same way until you see the cleaning solution exiting the carb's throat. Put it back together and test and set the idle screw and fuel air mixture screw. If the problem persists, most likely the problem could be on the fuel supply line. Check the fuel filter to make sure there are no bubbles which can indicate a leak in the system. The fact that you have to pump the primer bulbs sometimes to get it started tells me there is a leak in the fuel system since the system seems to starve from fuel. Or that the fuel diaphragm needs to be replaced.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Assuming the needle valve is in good shape? A simple float adjustment can or may stop the fuel leaking out the side of carb. Fallow Jerrys advice and one more thing you need to check are the reeds. If even one reed pedal is not seating properly then same problem will happen. Also may not hurt to check the fuel return system and verify that it is functioning properly.

BradU20

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. Boat is now in storage (and we just had a new baby born) so it will be a little while until I can work on it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It's time to start training the new one!!!Get him/her their own tool kit.
Congrats on the new boater!!!
I always try to include the grandkids when I work on something.I taught the oldest how to use a test light yesterday.J

BradU20

Recruit

It's time to start training the new one!!!Get him/her their own tool kit.
Congrats on the new boater!!!
I always try to include the grandkids when I work on something.I taught the oldest how to use a test light yesterday.J

If this one is anything like his older brother, he'll be a great helper. His brother is 2 and has been helping me in the boat since he could crawl. He can turn the marine radio on, put the key in the ignition, turn on the livewell....I think he's going to be an engineer. ;)