• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1987 Force 125 hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Force 125 hp

1987 force 125 hp

I just joined but I love this forum some of you guys are top notch.

at full throttle motor sometime feels like it throttles down for a brief amount of time.

I have video:

Listen while the boat misses, at seconds: 28 43 49-51 53 58 59 1:01 1:06 1:15-1:17 1:24-1:25 1:39 1:43-1:49 1:53

I have spark

just changed the fuel feed hose

I have equal compression

Update: Today I took it out and it was the worse @ WOT went to 15 mph then back down to 5 mph was as much as I could get something is very wrong.

I would love your suggestions

Re: 1987 Force 125 hp

it seems to me that you are losing gas out of some of the carbs,try cleaning out the fuel bowls on them and make sure the needle seats and fuel passages in them are clear,125hp you have 4 carbs any one acts up it shows up when you go wot.
    tom

Comment

You might want to check/re-build the fuel pump, especially the diaphragm. Cheap,easy, and needed maintenance. I'm not 100% sure from what I saw/heard that you are not intermittently losing spark at higher RPM's. I'm not sure what type of ignition you have on your rig, but I'd also check the coil(s) and/or cd box(s). I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good luck...
      Dan

Nebraska Football, there is NO substitute! If I have to explain you'd never understand. GO BIG RED!!!

Comment

I don't know how to check for spark at higher RPM or how to check my CD boxes at load. But I did check for regular spark and I have that.

Comment

I think you and i have the same motor. Same paint, stickers, etc. I figured out I was losing spark on one cylinder at high speeds because I had eliminated everything else.....Then I had someone run the motor at wot while i took out the plugs and grounded them, one at a time....kind of a pain to do. I am no mechanic, but you might check your fuel tank.....do you have a screen in the bottom of your pick up tube? Mine was partially plugged one time...I couldn't get the pick up tube unscrewed from the tank, but I blew compressed air through the line and that cleared it. You could have the same spark problem I have, also....I'll let you know if I am able to fix mine.

Comment

thanks for the heads up I'll go and look, I've checked the fuel before, but the winter was a harsh one I might just get a spare outboard tank and hook it up. to check if it is a fuel problem.

Also I'll replace the diaphram this week.

Now the WOT test that you did tell me more,
            did you use muffs in neutral?
            or at the lake in neutral?
            When I put it in neutral I can't get all the way to WOT

someone in these threads mentioned the voltage regulator, I'll check that this week too.

Comment

I haven't posted here in a long time, but think I can save ya a headache chasing yer tail. Its ZIP to do with gas. Its the well known dreaded "Force ignition" Same thing happened to my 88.

You need a Stator, possible one of the 2 power packs, and have the coils checked. But trust me, its the Stator causing this. Replace with the Merc upgraded one. Find a good Force/Merc wrench, and start handing over money. Trust me, as it has nothing to do with gas.

Comment

What's the source and part number for the upgraded stator?

I'm inclined to agree with you as I'm having similar issues with my 84 125HP
                1984 Bayliner Capri 1900 BR - Chrysler 125

"If it ain't broke, break it and fix it - only way to learn!"

Comment

steveclv

I found this site:
                  http://www.outboardignition.com

They have parts and testing procedure.

Well I'm going to replace the diapram today, maybe the rest of the fuel lines, then I'll see if I can figure out how to test it.

Comment

Did you ever get your engine running correctly? Turned out I was barking up the wrong tree on my 1987 125 Force....the float level on one of the carbs was off.........that was the real problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X