Voltage Regulator 1996 Force 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighornbob

Cadet
The past 3 or 4 years I've been having tach problems. When I would start up my 1996 Force 120 the tach wouldn't work for the first 5 or 10 minutes. Then all of the sudden it would come alive, until I would shut off the motor. Then on restart it would go through the whole process again.

Recently, the volt meter would start doing the same thing, not working at first then coming alive after a few minutes. But sometimes working right off the bat. So I replaced the voltage regulator with a new Merc regulator this week and now everything works just as it should. Well almost that is. Historically my volt meter would read just a smidge over 14 volts when the motor hit 2500 rpm's. Now with the new regulator it will hit about 13.8 volts or thereabouts at the same rpm's.

So my question is this, will my outboard battery recharge correctly at 13.8 volts or does it need to be at 14 volts or above to recharge my main battery.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Voltage Regulator 1996 Force 120

I would double check with a hand held digital volt meter. The accuracy of the dash gauges is sometimes questionable. I'm not an electrical expert but I would think that anything above 13.5 volts is sufficient to charge your battery.

fucawi

Banned

well I am an electical expert ....14.4v will bring your battery up to 80% of its theoreticl max charge. Its limited to 14.4v since the 60s as over this it starts to gas and that means maintanence.

With the widespread introduction of sealed batteries the voltage has been further reduced either .it peaks at 14.4 then drops back or is just limited dto 13.8v ..check with a digital meter at the battery terminals is a good idea.
Charging to only 13.5v will reduce your battery life to about 6 months

Bighornbob

Cadet

fucawi,
When you say check the voltage "at the battery terminals", I assume this means with the engine running at the proper rpm's--is that correct? Also, why would 13.5v reduce my battery life, as opposed to 14.4v. This is an area I'm a bit fuzzy on. Plus, when you charge a battery with a portable charger, does it top out at 80% of "max charge", even though the charger say's it's charged at a full 100%. Thanks for the education and the help!

fucawi

Banned

well today they call 14.4v fully charged as its as far as the makers want you to go ...if you dont get it up to 14.4v then its partially sulphated and that reduces battery life ...yes the 14,4v is when you have had it running at higher rpm for say 1/2 hr or more ...when its voltage peaks ...

funin the sun

Seaman
Looking for information on why my voltage rectifier gets hot. I just replaced rectifier with a brand new one becuz the old rectifier burnt up. I also had to replace switchbox as well. With the bad rectifier my boat still started up and ran however the tach didnt work and the plastic cover on the rectifier was melted and you could see the inside was all burnt. So i ordered a new and replaced the rectifier. Well one day my boat just died and wouldnt start up. All it did was turn over. So i was able to located the bad switchbox. I replaced switchbox and bang my boat came alive. It started up with no problem and runs fine. But after letting it sit at idle running for about 10-15 mins i noticed the rectifier was kinda hot. Now i know thats not normal. I know my battery is alittle low on charge. The dash is only reading 12volts so ill deffenently get a full charge soon. But with a low battery could that be the reason of the rectifier getting hot trying to charge the battery. Just wondering. Wanting to make sure a faulty stator or trigger wouldnt be causing a hot rectifier. However when i was looking for the problem on why my boat wouldnt start i tested trigger and stators resistance and volts and all checked out good. Is it just because of a low battery why the rectifier is getting hot

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Do not revive old threads! Start your own thread with your question if research does not satisfy you. Please read the forum rules before posting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You already have a hot rectifier thread open. Keep your questions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.