1989 force 125 no spark

ncor33

Cadet
Hey all! Question for you...

I have a 1989 trophy with twin 125 force outboards. Just had them gone through thoroughly. Problems identified and fixed were bad stator on port motor, and lower unit service on both, as well as water psi gauges.

Anyhow, both motors were firing up well, no issues. I was getting ready to take the family out for a fishing trip today, and was prepping the boat. Charged the starboard battery, no issues everything fine, motor cranks. Pulled the port battery and went to start today, and no go. Initially thought I was flooding/fouling plugs, as they were wet. Replaced plugs no help. So, started from the beginning.

Compression test was great. Compression 120-125 on all 4 cylinders. Next, test for spark. Nada. No spark on any cylinders.

So, I am thinking I screwed something up when I replaced the battery, hooked up a lead incorrectly. However, I used zip ties to keep all the connections seperated when I removed the battery, simply clipped the ties and screwed them back onto the battery. But, it would be extremely unlikely for something else to be the problem, or a crazy coincidence!

Anyhow, in the Trophy it is tough to trace wires out. I can easily tell the motor positive and negatives are hooked up correctly. I am getting 12.5 volts at the battery. What do I do next?

I am rather outboard uninformed, just learning, so use small words, pictures and LOTS of descriptions please!

thanks!
Neil

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 force 125 no spark

make sure the kill switch layard is attached, and I had the same problem the small wires, trigger wires broke off and no spark get a manual and trace the color wires and with a ohm meter you can start with the stator, then the trigger, and (4) coils to go at once is very rear. and a shop will charge 100 dollars per hour plus parts so a book and ohm meter ie the way to go you may even be able to barrow a meter from a friend Good Luck Bob

Jiggz

Captain

Start with the simple ones first as previously suggested, make sure the stop switch, kill switch or lanyard switch is not activated. If that's not the problem, disconnect the white kill wire switch from the engine cowling terminal board. Then try again.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Outboard ignition . com or CDI Ignition both have test procedures.
Test for a sheared flywheel key?
The magnet under the flywheel come loose?