1997 40 HP tracker force dies in wake speed unless crowl is off

mike4bama

Recruit
My 1997 40 HP Tracker s/n OE276051 will not run at idle/wake speed. Cranks ok, idles, and accelerates fine at home on the hose. In the water, it cranks and runs fine at wake speed on the way out. Throttles up fine, and runs well at WOT. However, when coming in to load at the ramp, it dies after long idle/wake speed. I took it out today to try and fine-adjust the idle screw, and noticed that it runs ok (better) with crowl off. When I put the cover back on, it will slowly start running rough. Seems to be a lot of smoke and shaking when it is about to die... but remove the cover, it improves and stays running.

I have replaced the diaphragm, cleaned the carb, and set the idle at 1.5 turns, then 1.25 turns, then 1.75 turns. Loosened and tighten the white nylon screw adjacent the idle needle, but nothing improves or worsens the condition. Read through alot of forums, but not found the answer - can someone point me in the right direction before I take it to the shop?

fucawi

Banned
Re: 1997 40 HP tracker force dies in wake speed unless crowl is off

I suggest the cowl is moving something probably a plug lead or wire ..they often snag when fitting he cowl ...most probably a plug cap /lead damaged

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a lot of thought, as well as what Fucawi said about the cowl rubbing a wire, that is your exhaust is backing up under the cowl, the engine is breathing stale, used exh gas. Check the rubber boot that is mid-leg for tightness or leakage.

Bob

mike4bama

Recruit

Thanks fucawi. Could be a possibility, but the motor acts like it is smothering, and remember it runs fine over wake speed.

mike4bama

Recruit

Thanks Bob... exhaust leak sounds like a promising cause. Is there a diagram accessable somewhere that I could understand where/what to check?

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about a 40, but on my 125, if you pull the cowl off, look down in the rear, about halfway down the inside should be a rubber bellows, or boot. Mine goes straight to the two pee holes on the outside of the motor leg.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This happened to me with my 125 hp. Only at idle speed. Confused me for few days. Someone on here said it was exhaust leeking into the cowl. It was. Free repair, the best kind. Good luck!

ronhud

Recruit

Make sure that there no water is getting into the top cowling and flooding out the carb. This happened to me on my Force 50 and I am still having problem finding out how the water is getting in there. Anyone have any ideas about the excess water I do not need please let me know.